Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Dry-aged prime rib roast

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

RCP: Dry-aged prime rib roast

by Randy Buckner » Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:36 pm

It doesn't get much simpler than this. We started with the best local beef we can find (which isn't a glowing recommendation), Misty Isle Beef. It was dry-aged for 17 days, which gave the meat a pretty intense beefy flavor.

Prime Rib -- 11.3 pounds

Rubbed with a mix of crushed pink and white peppercorns, Kosher salt, fresh crushed thyme and fresh crushed rosemary to taste.

The roast was seared on all sides, placed in a 200 degree oven and cooked for about six hours until the internal temperature reached 140 degrees (I prefer 130 degrees, but this was in deference to our guests).

The meat was served with horseradish sauce:

1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup ground horseradish
1 Tbs. snipped chives
1 tsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. salt
Adjust consistency with milk (I added a Tbs.)
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

Re: RCP: Dry-aged prime rib roast

by Linda R. (NC) » Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:45 pm

Hi Randy, that sounds very good. I am assuming that the horseradish sauce was served cool or at room temperature, and also that it would go as well with beef tenderloin or filet mignon steaks.

Merry Christmas!
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:02 pm

Hi Randy, that sounds very good. I am assuming that the horseradish sauce was served cool or at room temperature, and also that it would go as well with beef tenderloin or filet mignon steaks.

It was cool but not cold. I don't see why it would not go well with any beef, Linda.
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:13 pm

Merry Christmas!
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:34 am

Like you Randy I had a bone on dry aged rib roast for Christmas dinner. I decided to go simple with this piece of meat for a couple different reasons. My daughters M-I-L was alone for dinner so we invited her. And since this was my virgin experience with dry aged beef I didn't want to introduce any extra flavors. SO, I merely seared the ends of the roast in a skillet, then set it on the Kamado to roast at 225 degrees for 4 hours. I then put the baking potatoes on the grill and raised the cooking chamber temperature to 350 degrees. The meat I cooked to an internal of 140 degrees (medium rare) and then brought it in to rest in foil while the potatoes finished baking. The drippings were used to make yorkshire pudding which also turned out exceptionally well.

I am not sure that I would again pay the premium price for another dry aged roast, but I do think that I will buy a whole (12-15 lb) boneless black Angus Choice ribeye and dry my own hand at dry aging it in the crisper in my garage fridge. That will make for an interesting experiment, and doing it in winter will make it easier to do temperature wise.
Bob Henrick