Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Update

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Update

by Jenise » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:50 pm

Last Wednesday I was released from the hospital to home care on the condition that I both remain in the area and keep my leg up literally all the time. A PICC line was put into my arm first by the hospitals radiology department (scary) so that I can self administer my own antibiotic IV, which I'll need for weeks to come.

They were going to put the PICC in Tuesday, but the orderly showed up with not a standard gurney but something inelegantly low to the ground that to my eye looked like the cart you use at Home Depot to buy multiple 20 pound sacks of Quik-Crete. I took one look at that crappy ride and refused the entire procedure. So it was put off til Wednesday, and within hours I was free.

I remain an invalid. My blood markers are back to normal but my leg is far from that. Still, I'm much happier here in the company of good friends, good food and the occasional sip of good wine which they have every evening. I hope to be released to travel home soon, an agenda that requires precise timing as the IV meds have a shelf life of just seven days. I have to leave here the very day a fresh supply Comes overnight from Texas and get to a new doctor And a new fresh supply in Bellingham before I run out.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Update

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:19 pm

Wow, what an ongoing calamity. Has anybody suggested how long till you no longer need IV meds?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:34 pm

Calamity is right.

Jeff, no one even suggested to me that three weeks out I'd still be immobile. I've really had no idea what to expect all along, every development has been one big surprise after another. The infusion service I've engaged in B'ham tells me that six weeks would not be out of the question; meanwhile, and ominously, my doctor here bragged that this PICC line can stay in for six months. I only know that my infection was far worse than average.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:21 pm

I really hope for a speedy recovery for you.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:50 pm

Hot tip: Glad Press And Seal? Never owned any before but medical experts agree that if you have a wound or something that should be kept dry when showering, nothing works better. And I can confirm that. Will never be without again!
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:20 pm

Thanks for the update, Jenise. That has to be one hell of an experience, but it's good to know that things are trending in the right directiion.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:25 am

Mike, it doesn't even compare with what you went through a few years ago. Hope you're still feeling well?
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:10 am

Glad to hear you are on the mend, tho slowly.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:33 am

Jenise wrote:Mike, it doesn't even compare with what you went through a few years ago. Hope you're still feeling well?

Feeling good these days, J - thanks.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:53 am

Jenise wrote:Hot tip: Glad Press And Seal? Never owned any before but medical experts agree that if you have a wound or something that should be kept dry when showering, nothing works better. And I can confirm that. Will never be without again!

Good to know! :mrgreen:

And adding to the chorus of "Get Well Soon!" wishes! Along with a wish for more communicative medical providers ...
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:05 pm

wow, I somehow missed this. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!