Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Favorite asparagus recipe?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Favorite asparagus recipe?

by Jeff Grossman » Sat May 02, 2015 12:20 am

Hoke wrote:Okay, now you're just being acronymonious. :D

At my workplace I saw a book labelled "TLA". As you may have already guessed it was filled with three-letter acronyms.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat May 02, 2015 1:11 am

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:
Thomas wrote:Incidentally, just a quirk of mine, but I hate it when words are abbreviated for no apparent reason, and with no period. ;)

Don't worry, Jenise, got you covered here.

Here ya go, Thomas, what you're missing: Denominazione di Origine Protetta ____igiano-Reggiano

He he! You're my hero.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Heinz Bobek

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:51 pm

Munich Germany

by Heinz Bobek » Sat May 02, 2015 3:58 am

Jenise wrote:Tom, your method with white asparagus is very interesting. What does the hunk of bread in the cooking liquid do? Does it dissolve? Would think it would become too thick.

The added chunk of white bread should reduce the possible bitter taste of the asparagus stalks. This is reported in some books and chefs will talk once in a while in TV shows about it. I think it's rubbish. A dash of sugar in the cooking water will bring a much better result, if ever needed. I never cook asparagus in water except for an asparagus cream soup or a mousse.

My favourite cooking method for white peeled asparagus. Place 7 thick stalks of asparagus on a aluminum foil, sprinkle with salt and sugar and add some pats of butter. Close the foil tightly over the asperagus stalks and fold the foil ends carefully. Place these packets on a plate into the preheat oven at 200°C and bake aproximately 35 to 40 minutes. If the packets then be opened at the table an indescribable mouthwatering fragrance flows out. Served with steamed potatoes and a false Bozener sauce. (mixture of yogurt, crème fraîche, sour cream, finely diced boiled eggs, finely diced cornichons, chives, worcestershire sauce and medium hot mustard, salt and pepper to season)
Last edited by Heinz Bobek on Sat May 02, 2015 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Sat May 02, 2015 8:39 am

Hoke wrote:Okay, now you're just being acronymonious. :D

Roger, Hoke. I'll change my ways sol before anyone here goes awol from the effect of having his/her head spun because of the snakes that keep ruining the crack job of an airman beyond reproach on his way to level 5.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat May 02, 2015 10:17 am

All this spargel chat reminded me of another way I enjoy it.

Grilled and then anointed with copious quantities of brown butter with almond (you brown the butter with sliced almonds in it and it gets even nuttier than normal brown butter) and a dash of salt. A big plate of that and nothing else with a glass or two of a nice Kabinett is bliss.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat May 02, 2015 12:23 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:All this spargel chat reminded me of another way I enjoy it.

Grilled and then anointed with copious quantities of brown butter with almond (you brown the butter with sliced almonds in it and it gets even nuttier than normal brown butter) and a dash of salt. A big plate of that and nothing else with a glass or two of a nice Kabinett is bliss.

Nice! I do that with green beans but never thought to apply it to asparagus.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Previous