Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Chef's Table

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Chef's Table

by Bill Spohn » Sun May 03, 2015 4:42 pm

I was browsing Netflix and happened across one of their own productions called Chef's table, about six chefs, one episode each. I hadn't seen it mentioned here and thought it might be of interest. It became available at the end of April and is the successor to Jiro Dreams of Sushi.

Massimo Bottura runs Osteria Francescana, a 3 star restaurant in Modena. interesting story about how he was attracting no attention with his ideas of cuisine and then suddenly became a hit (rated #3 in the world).

Dan Barber of Blue Hill in Manhattan, a big proponent of farm to table and sustainable agriculture.

Francis Malman and his gaucho grilling in South America

Niki Nakayama of n/naka in LA and her traditional kaiseki cuisine

Ben Shewry of Attica in Melbourne - perhaps the best restaurant in Australia

Magnus Nilsson of Faviken in Sweden, a top ten Zagat rating with only 16 seats and you have to stay there to get one.

I've seen a couple of these people before, but had heard nothing of several others. Highly recommended if you have access to Netflix. watch them and post any comments.

See trailer at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKqj85oo2wI and this Bon Appetit article
http://www.bonappetit.com/people/chefs/ ... ocumentary
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Chef's Table

by Jenise » Tue May 05, 2015 2:48 pm

One more reason to get Netflix, which I haven't done yet.

Sounds great. Dan Barber and Magnus Nilsson are the only two of those chefs known to me, though I have heard of Attica.

There's a restaurant down here, btw, that requires you stay to get a seat. But it works because it's on an island which you can only get to by ferry.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue May 05, 2015 4:00 pm

Jenise wrote:One more reason to get Netflix, which I haven't done yet.

I understand. That $7.99 a month can be a killer....... :twisted:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue May 05, 2015 5:16 pm

It's not the cost, it's just the extra time. We don't seem to have lots of extra hours we can't fill.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue May 05, 2015 10:06 pm

Jenise wrote:It's not the cost, it's just the extra time. We don't seem to have lots of extra hours we can't fill.

Understood, but if you watch a couple of movies a month, you've covered the expense. I never worry about whether I use Netflix - some months I'll watch zero, and others I'll burn up 30 hours.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed May 06, 2015 2:27 am

Bill Spohn wrote:
Jenise wrote:It's not the cost, it's just the extra time. We don't seem to have lots of extra hours we can't fill.

Understood, but if you watch a couple of movies a month, you've covered the expense. I never worry about whether I use Netflix - some months I'll watch zero, and others I'll burn up 30 hours.

Understood. But when we first booked Netflix several years back we thought we'd watch it exhaustively. I think the first month or two we got our money's worth, then a movie sat there for a year unwatched and until they forgave the cost. So it's been hard for me to talk the Bobster into it again.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu May 07, 2015 12:36 am

Watching the one on Bottura as I write this. It's killing me that I can't get to Osteria Francescana immediately.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu May 07, 2015 8:49 am

Not sure what the wait time might be for a reservation there!

see http://www.amazon.com/Massimo-Bottura-N ... 0714867144

Batali quote on the book: "Massimo Bottura is the Jimi Hendrix of Italian chefs.'