Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

My new barbecue--maybe

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

My new barbecue--maybe

by Jenise » Tue May 05, 2015 6:32 pm

We need a new barbecue. The one we bought just three years ago is rotting inside/out. It has not withstood our marine environment. We didn't expect it to long term; that is, we realistically considered it something of a disposable purchase but we did think we'd get better than three years. So now we either buy more like that, go to a BGE which I'm not crazy about since I prefer not to ingest charcoal or go big, like to a Weber Summit. Our neighbor has one and loves it, and Bob's been drooling over it, but at four years old it is getting some rust because it's not 100% stainless. Considering all this has led me to search for what might be available second hand--you know, two high-end people fall in love and combine households so he has to sell the really cool brand new barbecue he just bought--and I actually stumbled into a possible answer. It's this:

http://www.crownverity.com/products/grills-and-griddles/36-grill-shown-options

304 stainless, inside and out, commercial quality and durability. Made in Toronto. Anyone familiar with the brand?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: My new barbecue--maybe

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu May 07, 2015 8:38 am

Looks pretty nice. My across-the-street neighbor is a rep for several companies that manufacture grills and such and he knows the business pretty well. If he's around, I'll ask him if he knows anything about these.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu May 07, 2015 11:10 am

Mike, that'd be great. We love the fact that it's 304 stainless. Even the Webers are 410--which will rust in a marine environment. But it's still a lot of money--maybe too much. We don't need a barbecue to last the rest of our lives--we're not 30. But something that would last ten years would be fine.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Thu May 07, 2015 12:37 pm

When I was a kid, my grandfather made us one out of bricks. Of course, he was a bricklayer. http://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/outdoors/structures/how-to-build-a-brick-barbecue
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Thu May 07, 2015 1:34 pm

I ran across a link on FB and followed it. Some of these are 304 Stainless. http://www.dcsappliances.com/product/outdoor/traditionalgrills/
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu May 07, 2015 2:19 pm

Most BBQs have stainless shells and stuff inside that will rot but can be replaced.

That one you mentioned is insanely expensive and absofrickinglutely huge - capacity for your block parties perhaps, but well beyond the normal needs, I would think.

What about things like this:

http://www.costco.com/.product.10013155 ... loedViewCP

$1K and all you'd ever want, no? And also in 304 stainless.

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu May 07, 2015 2:37 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:That one you mentioned is insanely expensive and absofrickinglutely huge - capacity for your block parties perhaps, but well beyond the normal needs, I would think.

What about things like this:

http://www.costco.com/.product.10013155 ... loedViewCP

$1K and all you'd ever want, no? And also in 304 stainless.

Actually, our needs are ridiculously simple. 99.9% of the time we cook for two, we would love to play with a rotisserie but have never had one or particularly lusted after one so it wouldn't be worth much extra expense, and we don't even use the side burner we currently have for anything but an extra shelf. A 30" would be preferable to a 36"--but the one I referenced above I can get for $1800 net in a private party deal--never used--instead of $2600 or so plus tax and/or shipping. That's how it got on my radar.

STILL, I ran some numbers for Bob this morning. Two grand is a lot to spend unless you've just got to have the best of everything and money's no object. But that's not quite us. So though I am highly attracted to that 'best of' look, I will admit, after thinking on this for a few days? Buying something even smaller, cheaper and more portable than the one we have now (we like to move the BBQ from one side of the house to the other depending on the wind) and replacing it every three-four years could actually make the most sense in the long run (financially, though I hate adding to the landfills).
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu May 07, 2015 2:44 pm

How about this 304 smaller one for $460?

http://www.costco.com/.product.10007501 ... InCategory

304 grade stainless steel is a commercial grade metal used only in the highest quality products. This stainless steel has superior corrosion resistance than more common metals, and will retain its beauty and luster longer than other common stainless steel grades. The entire grill frame, cabinet facings, control panel facing, side shelves, firebox walls, exterior lid and all related fasteners are made from 304 grade stainless steel.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu May 07, 2015 2:46 pm

I've got Bob looking at that one right now. Portable, AND 304 SS? Woo hoo.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu May 07, 2015 2:52 pm

Bill, the comments on that little Landmann aren't great. Poster after poster complains that it doesn't sear well. And this guy really speaks to our issues (we've never gone with the $200 grills before, but right now we're debating whether or not we'd be happier throwing away a $200 grill than a $500 grill): " Loved the look of this grill. I have always gone for the $200 grills, which need to be replaced in about one to two years (with good care). So I thought I'd spend a bit more for a higher quality grill. Figured I've never gone wrong with Costco. Grill cooks great. After just 6 months, welded parts inside that hold heat shields in rusted and fell off. Heat shields rusted too. Burners rusted so badly, after about two months on non use, the holes where the gas comes out were rusted shut. Grill has been well cared for. Well cleaned after each use, never kept outside when not in use, and always kept the furnished cover on the unit. I've gotten better use of the $200 grills (bargain brands). Very disappointed. Wil be returning for a full refund. :( "
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu May 07, 2015 3:30 pm

I hadn't looked up the reports on that model.

Suggestion - I have an old friend (I used to teach swimming with him 45 years ago) who runs a shop in North Van and sells tons of BBQs and has many in 304 stainless. They are open at 9:30 tomorrow and are 5 minutes east of my office. If you wanted to come up a bit early for lunch, you could see a whole bunch of possibilities, and our dollar is favourable to you. If you decide to do that, let me know, and if I can get away I wouldn't mind meeting you there. In the mean time, Bob can do homework here:

http://www.johnstones.com/barbecues.html

My Vermont is 304, but is probably more than you need to spend. They have others that would do nicely though.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu May 07, 2015 9:26 pm

I'm with Howie on this one. I once lived a couple years in a house with a big old stone barbecue out in the back. Disused, overgrown, but still in fine shape. I cleaned it up, went to a local foundry for a sheet of "expanded iron", and presto! Excellent grill.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri May 08, 2015 10:47 am

Bill Spohn wrote:I hadn't looked up the reports on that model.

Suggestion - I have an old friend (I used to teach swimming with him 45 years ago) who runs a shop in North Van and sells tons of BBQs and has many in 304 stainless. They are open at 9:30 tomorrow and are 5 minutes east of my office. If you wanted to come up a bit early for lunch, you could see a whole bunch of possibilities, and our dollar is favourable to you. If you decide to do that, let me know, and if I can get away I wouldn't mind meeting you there. In the mean time, Bob can do homework here:

http://www.johnstones.com/barbecues.html

My Vermont is 304, but is probably more than you need to spend. They have others that would do nicely though.

Johnstones looks like a great resource. I don't know if we can make it up earlier this morning, but I'm sending Bob the link.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat May 09, 2015 4:21 pm

I talked to my friend Pete a few minutes ago. He hadn't heard of the Crown Verity but he thought the price was pretty high. He suggested checking out Saber grills. He said they're 100% 304 stainless, they cook very well (900 ° searing temp?), and they use significantly less propane than other similar sized grills. They're made in China but the factory is managed by people from over here, so the assembly techniques and such are the same as what you'd get from a grill made in the U.S. He considers them the best value grills that he's run across. He thought that you could get a four burner version for a bit over $1000.

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat May 09, 2015 5:17 pm

Mike, thanks for that recco. The dealer Bill mentions carries Saber, so we can take a look at one soon. Our needs are pretty simple, and the only 'trick' we really care about is searing. We love flames--or at least the ability to summon them. We wandered into a Lowe's last week to test the metal on brands like Weber (410, we were surprised to learn) and were surprised by how many touted that you'll never burn your food on their unit. I guess the world of outdoor cooking is full of people who can't be trusted with fire. :)
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat May 09, 2015 5:58 pm

Yeah, Pete mentioned that all of Weber's stuff is 410 stainless. That's not a big deal if you live in Sacramento, but it is out where you are.

He said the Sabers don't flare up - which might be a good thing or a bad thing depending on what you want to do. He also said that you can get some sort of firebox on them that you can put pellets in for smoking.

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue May 12, 2015 2:16 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Yeah, Pete mentioned that all of Weber's stuff is 410 stainless. That's not a big deal if you live in Sacramento, but it is out where you are.

He said the Sabers don't flare up - which might be a good thing or a bad thing depending on what you want to do. He also said that you can get some sort of firebox on them that you can put pellets in for smoking.

So it must use what some of the barbecues we've seen call "infrared technology"--which sounds so ooh la la but really it only means there's a horizontal barrier installed between the flame source and the grill. Unfortunately, that's a little too tame for us. We can control the flare-ups when we want to--even if only by moving to indirect heat, but most of the time we really do want that flame-kissed effect. Perhaps a fine line for some, but if you're cooking outside for convenience--odors waft away, no kitchen clean up, the huzz can sit in a nearby chair with a beer and be king of all he surveys--then that kind of protection could be handy. But that's not us. We grill outside for a very specific flavor, and it takes flames to achieve that. I'm the type who sprinkles sugar on my steak to attract even more.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue May 12, 2015 9:49 pm

Jenise wrote:I'm the type who sprinkles sugar on my steak to attract even more.

Horrors! I thought nice people only did that on scallops to be seared.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed May 13, 2015 11:28 am

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:
Jenise wrote:I'm the type who sprinkles sugar on my steak to attract even more.

Horrors! I thought nice people only did that on scallops to be seared.

Works great on all meats. Doesn't taste sweet, it just develops more umami.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed May 13, 2015 12:01 pm

Yup, can never get enough of that!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYX4peMHdMY
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed May 13, 2015 1:47 pm

Brewer & Shipley!

I got the joke; but here's one back at you. I'm sure you've seen it before, but it's worth a revisit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8tdmaEhMHE
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue May 19, 2015 2:50 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:How about this 304 smaller one for $460?

http://www.costco.com/.product.10007501 ... InCategory

304 grade stainless steel is a commercial grade metal used only in the highest quality products. This stainless steel has superior corrosion resistance than more common metals, and will retain its beauty and luster longer than other common stainless steel grades. The entire grill frame, cabinet facings, control panel facing, side shelves, firebox walls, exterior lid and all related fasteners are made from 304 grade stainless steel.

Our Costco has this one in the store, we saw over the weekend. Where this site shows it at $459, in-store it's $379. They also have a bigger Kitchen-Aid, also all 304, at $550.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue May 19, 2015 3:00 pm

Jenise - I was doing a check out on my Vermont on the weekend and realized that the 'sear plates' (wavy plates that go between the burners and the grill to ensure the cook is even) were shot. Called the local guy I told you about and they had tons of parts even though mine is a few years old.

You should come up and see what they have! Wine could be involved!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue May 19, 2015 6:00 pm

Bill, we'll have to do that--we're certainly not buying the KitchenAid. It's actually made by a company called Nexgrill who also make stuff branded as Jenn-Air. To anyone who might have been interested, the reviews on this Consumer Affairs website are atrocious--the grills have a history of catching fire, and the manufacturer is blatantly unresponsive.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/nexgrill.html
Next