Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Crust recco needed

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

Crust recco needed

by Christina Georgina » Mon May 11, 2015 10:15 pm

Working on desserts for a party next week. Need a crust that can be baked in mini muffin tins to be filled with coconut curd seasoned with lemongrass and lime. Garnish toasted coconut or tiny mango cubes. I've got the curd down but have done 2 test runs with a coconut macaroon type crust...che disastro !!!!! Did not release from the tins. Well buttered made them greasy and mostly not releasing either.
Graham won't work for mini tins. Trying a flour, ground almond and toasted coconut held together with butter and palm sugar next.
Really don't want to buy the tins with the pushout bottoms but I might have to give in.
Any suggestions from the pastry mavens ?
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Crust recco needed

by Jeff Grossman » Mon May 11, 2015 11:21 pm

no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

by Christina Georgina » Wed May 13, 2015 10:17 pm

Thanks Jeff. It works! Releases beautifully from non stick mini tins. Overestimated the amount of dough and they were a bit thick. Used 1/2 c almonds and 1/4 cup toasted coconut finely ground in processor.
Next batch a bit more sugar and some lime zest. Quite pie crust like. Baked 13 min at 37. Can easily get 30 mini crusts from the recipe. Many thanks. Not sweating that offering anymore. Now on to the mini Pavlovas....
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed May 13, 2015 11:27 pm

Glad to hear it! I'm not surprised it needs a little more sugar; that dough is from an otherwise sweet recipe....
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

by Christina Georgina » Sun May 17, 2015 9:44 pm

Final batch today.....upped sugar to 3T, used equal amounts of ground almonds and coconut and used a bit less than 1/4 c sour cream for liquid. A bit like those blogs where one reads about every substitution under the sun but the final result is perfect with the coconut, lemongrass custard and what I'll be serving as one of the desserts for the party on Tuesday.
The fresh fruit offering will be skewers of papaya, mango, jicama in a minted lime chile dressing; mini Pavlovas with blueberries and raspberries; a trio of mini truffles- pistachio, chile and cocoa.
Thanks again. Was not happy with the tarts until today.
Mamma Mia !