Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Early fruit

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Early fruit

by Jenise » Tue May 26, 2015 2:11 pm

Cherries, both red and Raniers--have been around for a few weeks now. And it's still May! Haven't bought any, but I've been binging on something far more rare: apricots, something that's rarely good when storebought, but what I've been buying have been excellent. Well, excellent for not personally picked off a tree at the peak of ripeness.

Strange early summer!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

Re: Early fruit

by Thomas » Tue May 26, 2015 2:56 pm

Jenise wrote:Cherries, both red and Raniers--have been around for a few weeks now. And it's still May! Haven't bought any, but I've been binging on something far more rare: apricots, something that's rarely good when storebought, but what I've been buying have been excellent. Well, excellent for not personally picked off a tree at the peak of ripeness.

Strange early summer!

Here's a factoid for you: when the previous ice age ended about 12,000 years ago, the Northeast was frigid and the Pacific Northwest--and Alaska--was desert-like. Some say that recent weather patterns across the country indicate we may be reverting.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue May 26, 2015 7:06 pm

Sure seems like it, Thomas. In fact I'm counting on it for a big tomato season. I planted six!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Tue May 26, 2015 8:04 pm

Jenise wrote:Sure seems like it, Thomas. In fact I'm counting on it for a big tomato season. I planted six!

You want optimism: we planted 40. Well, not yet. Next week.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed May 27, 2015 9:23 am

I'd plant 40 too if I had the room. As it is, I only have room for five, which is why six is slightly overexuberant.
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Wed May 27, 2015 11:55 am

It is odd how apricots, specifically, are so variable, in a way that other stone fruit are not. Plums are the most reliable, ironically, given how often they are crossed with apricots. Peaches and nectarines are somewhat inconsistent, but apricots can be cardboard for entire seasons!

Luckily, the apricots are good this year around here, and the cherry season has been excellent.

Walt
Walter Nissen