Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Fermented bean question for Paul

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

Fermented bean question for Paul

by Christina Georgina » Thu May 28, 2015 11:43 pm

Paul, please advise on purchase of fermented beans. Looking at the options in the link you provided but am overwhelmed. Can you give some tips on differences, what to look for, vacuum pack vs jar, specific brand? I imagine that options relate to specific taste needs and I certainly do not use them often enough to sample all the options.
Thx
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: Fermented bean question for Paul

by Paul Winalski » Fri May 29, 2015 10:50 am

Christina, if you're asking about Sichuan fermented broad bean chili paste (douban jiang), take a look at this page on the Mala Project website: http://themalaproject.com/pixian-chili-bean-paste-douban-jiang/. There are pictures of some of the recommended brands there.

If you're talking about fermented black beans, the brand I prefer comes in a yellow cardboard cylindrical container. Look for Yang Jiang on the label--that is the city in Guangdong Province that makes the best fermented black beans.

black_beans.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.