Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RIP Romertopf

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

RIP Romertopf

by Jenise » Sat May 30, 2015 9:52 am

DSCF0636.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: RIP Romertopf

by Jeff Grossman » Sun May 31, 2015 12:40 am

It looks well-used, though.
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Sun May 31, 2015 7:13 am

At least it wasn't "RIP Le Creuset". Just head to the nearest Goodwill store. You can probably find one donated by a bewildered newlywed for less money than you paid for the gas it took to get you there.

How did it crack, Jenise? Accidentally set it on something with a wet spot out of the oven?
"He ordered as one to the Menu born...."
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun May 31, 2015 12:29 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:It looks well-used, though.

It was! Only once or twice a year, but for what I liked using it for, nothing else would do.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun May 31, 2015 12:32 pm

Tom NJ wrote:At least it wasn't "RIP Le Creuset". Just head to the nearest Goodwill store. You can probably find one donated by a bewildered newlywed for less money than you paid for the gas it took to get you there.

I know! In fact, I already checked ebay. They run around $20 there but shipping will add about $25 in most cases. There I also learned that many (or all) are now made in Mexico, not West Germany, and will be stamped that way on the bottom.

It acquired that hairline crack a couple years ago and I knew it was only a matter of time until it blew. It most likely chose this time to go because I forgot to put it into a cold oven and let it heat up slowly. It didn't like instant 400 F.
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Sun May 31, 2015 1:28 pm

Jenise wrote:
Tom NJ wrote:... I forgot to put it into a cold oven and let it heat up slowly. It didn't like instant 400 F.

Oof. Yeah. Thermal shock's a bitch.

Oh well, your lapse is Mexico's gain. Viva!

:D
"He ordered as one to the Menu born...."