Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

WLDG advertsing side bar

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

WLDG advertsing side bar

by Peter May » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:06 am

Advertising supports WLDG, and advertisers quite rightly view we who read and take part in WLDG as highly valuable consumers to communicate with.

That's why they get their best advertsing agencies to craft eye-catching commercial messages.

Like this one caught my eye...

wldg-advert.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: WLDG advertsing side bar

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:15 pm

Because of drought restrictions here in California, we'd have to limit this to the spinkling.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:45 pm

The usual reminder - if you see an ad that looks sketchy, from weight-loss schemes to get-rich-quick schemes, please let me know in a PM, with the URL of the offending advertiser. We limit our ad categories aggressively to keep out the junk, but sometimes the bad folks lie and run in ads that don't fit the category they purchased from Google. We haff vays to put an abrupt stop to this, but I can only do it if I hear about it ... with URL.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:17 pm

Mine's trying to sell me ad space in China, no doubt it picked up my "interest" from a comment I made in email to a friend about the capsized Chinese river boat. Sure makes me uncomfortable, the way the bots scan my emails.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:09 pm

Jenise wrote: the way the bots scan my emails.

For the record, the Google ads here work only from forum content, I think. I've noticed on occasion that if there's a hot forum topic, some of the ads will start to relate to it. :) They certainly don't have access to PMs.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:06 pm

Robin Garr wrote: if you see an ad that looks sketchy, from weight-loss schemes to get-rich-quick schemes, please let me know in a PM, with the URL of the offending advertiser. .

I didn't think there's anything iffy about the ad - I was pointing out the misspelling
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:52 pm

Robin Garr wrote:For the record, the Google ads here work only from forum content, I think.

Two days ago I looked online for ideas for convection ovens. Since yetserday, those very same convection ovens--and one of the companies--appear on the left of the WLDG forum screen. Coincidence?
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:58 pm

In addition, An hour ago, I had to go to my PayPal account for some business. Just now when I signed on, a PayPal ad appeared above those convection ovens.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:27 pm

Thomas wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:For the record, the Google ads here work only from forum content, I think.

Two days ago I looked online for ideas for convection ovens. Since yetserday, those very same convection ovens--and one of the companies--appear on the left of the WLDG forum screen. Coincidence?

No, Google. But not Email.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:28 pm

Peter May wrote:
Robin Garr wrote: if you see an ad that looks sketchy, from weight-loss schemes to get-rich-quick schemes, please let me know in a PM, with the URL of the offending advertiser. .

I didn't think there's anything iffy about the ad - I was pointing out the misspelling

I wasn't suggesting otherwise, Peter, only adding a bit of information to the topic. :)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:33 pm

Robin-it's not forum traffic defined. Most of the ads I get relate to Adobe Lightroom applications and a website my wife buys clothes from. Neither of those relate to forum traffic.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:09 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Robin-it's not forum traffic defined. Most of the ads I get relate to Adobe Lightroom applications and a website my wife buys clothes from. Neither of those relate to forum traffic.

Okay, good point. I was reacting to a thought inspired by Jenise's post that somehow Google ads in the forum know what you've been looking up in Email. That, I think, is not so, UNLESS you're using Gmail. Gmail users make a simple bargain: They get an awesome Email program. Google gets to pull commercial interests out of their mail.

But yes, you're absolutely right: The Google gives us free stuff so it can amass data about our interests and sell it to advertisers. The Google, of course, recognizes us wherever we go, including this forum.

I don't really mind of Google knows I was looking at Kohler faucets, or watched a funny cartoon from Mercedes about the Smart Car. I don't really think anyone at Google is taking a personal interest in the contents of my Email. But if I were planning a crime, I probably wouldn't use Email or the Interwebz to do it. ;)
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:00 pm

Peter May wrote:

Just curious....I know you folks "across the pond" have unique spelling, but are your annoying marketers advertsing agencies?

:P :mrgreen: :twisted:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:43 am

Ho ho Brian.

Pay me as much as the advertising agency received and I'll get my posts spell checked and edited by a professional

Always puzzled me why Noah Webster left advertise and surprise with an 's' rather than change it to a 'z' as he did when he tried to simplify written English by dropping the essential 'u' from colour, me from programme (& etc), and willy-nilly changing 's' to 'z'
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:09 pm

I'm still spinkling over here. No spinkling restrictions in New York City. La dee la dee la!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:54 am

Most browsers now come with spell check.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:30 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Most browsers now come with spell check.

And, I expect, a browser option that lets you choose Yank or Blighty?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:29 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote: No spinkling restrictions in New York City.

Well, surely if you did it in a public place you'd get arrested. That's why restrooms. ;)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:18 pm

Jenise wrote:
Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote: No spinkling restrictions in New York City.

Well, surely if you did it in a public place you'd get arrested. That's why restrooms. ;)

We do not rest in New York City. We downshift to fourth occasionally.
no avatar
User

Fredrik L

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:54 pm

by Fredrik L » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:56 am

My advertising side bar always comment on what I have done elsewhere on the net. Right now it´s trying to get me to book a room at the Radisson Martinique in NYC. Problem is I have already done that.

Greetings from Sweden / Fredrik L
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:37 am

Today, my side bar is trying to sell me an NRA camoflauge tote bag! I promise you, I haven't been talking about or looking into those creeps anywhere!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:46 pm

Jenise wrote:Today, my side bar is trying to sell me an NRA camoflauge tote bag! I promise you, I haven't been talking about or looking into those creeps anywhere!

Maybe it's being ironic? :lol: