Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

In praise of Jimmy Dean sausage

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Re: In praise of Jimmy Dean sausage

by Bill Spohn » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:16 am

I picked up a sausage stuffing attachment for the Kitchenaid but haven't got around to sourcing casings and having a go yet.

I find most English and German sausages to be on the bland side for me - I prefer something with a little more impact - French, Italian and Iberian are more my preference.

Guess I can work on recipes using pattys and then get stuffing after I develop the right one.

Maybe we should have a 'stuff-off' some time......
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:23 pm

I've made my own Italian sausage in casings, but not recently. Someday I'd like to try my hand at soppresota or kielbasa. I have had a Cabela's grinder for many years. I don't see mine listed on their site, but it is comparable to his one: Heavy Duty Grinder.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:46 pm

Howie, that looks just like our Kitchenaid attachments.

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:15 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:I picked up a sausage stuffing attachment for the Kitchenaid but haven't got around to sourcing casings and having a go yet.

I find most English and German sausages to be on the bland side for me - I prefer something with a little more impact - French, Italian and Iberian are more my preference.

Guess I can work on recipes using pattys and then get stuffing after I develop the right one.

Maybe we should have a 'stuff-off' some time......

I have yet to make sausages at home, but friends make them all the time and I've assisted their projects. They had the Kitchen Aid grinder/stuffer attachments and are the only people I've ever known who weren't happy with it. But their issue is was that the Kitchen Aid took two hours to process the same amount of product their new sausage stuffer could do in 20 minutes, and after watching how much they do I understand. (They gave me their KA, I'll be perfectly happy with it.) Funny story--they bought their new stuffer on eBay, and only after paying for it did they see where the seller was located. Bellingham. Couldn't believe their eyes.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:38 pm

I use 1 lb of regular Jimmy Dean sausage to 1 1/14 lb ground chuck in our meatball recipe. Just add one sleeve of crushed saltines, some chopped garlic, chile flakes, salt n pepper, 2 eggs & a big handful of fresh chopped parsley.

I cook them in a bit of EVOO until they are brown on all sides. Then pour the marinara sauce right over the top of them and simmer for 30 min or so. I'm not a fan long cooked sauces for this. I like my tomatoes sauces bright.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:42 pm

RichardAtkinson wrote:I use 1 lb of regular Jimmy Dean sausage to 1 1/14 lb ground chuck in our meatball recipe. Just add one sleeve of crushed saltines, some chopped garlic, chile flakes, salt n pepper, 2 eggs & a big handful of fresh chopped parsley.

I cook them in a bit of EVOO until they are brown on all sides. Then pour the marinara sauce right over the top of them and simmer for 30 min or so. I'm not a fan long cooked sauces for this. I like my tomatoes sauces bright.

Damn, that sounds good, Richard.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:50 pm

I agree. Although I've combined other sausages into meatballs, never tried Jimmy Dean that way. Must do!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Previous