Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Tomato/fresh mozz tartlets

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

RCP: Tomato/fresh mozz tartlets

by Jenise » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:23 pm

I like this easy recipe that showed up in my inbox today.

2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
1/4 to 1/3 cup pesto
1 to 1 1/2 pounds mini tomatoes
6 ounces fresh mozzarella, chopped into small pieces
Olive oil for drizzling
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 egg
1 tablespoon milk
6 to 8 leaves fresh basil, chopped

directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Unfold sheets of puff pastry, cut each into thirds along fold lines then cut each third in half to create 12 rectangles in total and place on parchment. Lightly score edges of each rectangle to create 1/4-inch border then dock center with a fork.

Spread 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons of pesto in center of each rectangle. Top with 6 to 7 mini tomatoes then fill in gaps with pieces of mozzarella (about 1/2 ounce). Drizzle lightly with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.

Whisk together egg and milk in a small bowl then brush edges of tarts. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until edges are browned. Top with basil and serve immediately.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: RCP: Tomato/fresh mozz tartlets

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:06 pm

I was expecting this to turn into pizza pop-tarts!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: RCP: Tomato/fresh mozz tartlets

by Jenise » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:46 am

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:I was expecting this to turn into pizza pop-tarts!

Actually, that's just about what it is. My preference would be to bake the pastry, cool it, top it with burrata or ricotta, then dump a bowl full of halved cherry tomatoes dressed with EVOO, salt, vin, and fresh herbs on top--THEN we're talking. But I wouldn't throw this out of bed. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov