Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

R.I.P. Walter Scheib

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Northerm NJ, USA

R.I.P. Walter Scheib

by Tom NJ » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:09 am

From my news this morning:

Missing Chef's Body Found In New Mexico Mountains

(Taos, NM) -- The mystery surrounding a missing former White House chef is over. Search teams found the body of Walter Scheib [[ SHIBE ]] late Sunday in the New Mexico mountains. The 61-year-old disappeared while hiking alone near Taos ski resort last weekend. Scheib served as executive chef to Presidents Bill Clinton and George W. Bush from 1994 to 2005.

I read his book "White House Chef" and enjoyed it. I also liked what he said in a Munchies (website) interview a while back: "In my estimate, and this will be a little bit controversial I suspect, the whole concept of this fad—and I use the word "fad" advisedly—of molecular gastronomy, it could not go away fast enough. This is the emperor's new clothes of cuisine. " Gotta admire someone who'll go out on a professional limb like that, whether or not you agree with their position.

Too bad....
"He ordered as one to the Menu born...."
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

Re: R.I.P. Walter Scheib

by Hoke » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:31 pm

I had the great pleasure of working with Walter Scheib during an all-day event (Restaurant association) in Pennsylvania. He took us through the entire kitchen prep process for a "Dinner at the White House", regaled us with great stories of his years at the WH and his interactions with the people at every level.

I paired some wines with the courses of his meal, and he did a great performance that evening. Every dish was nicely done and beautifully plated.

It's a great memory. I enjoyed the time I spent with him. And he graciously gave me an autographed copy of his book.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: R.I.P. Walter Scheib

by Jenise » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:53 pm

He filmed a series on cooking in New Mexico (from his PA restaurant) that I enjoyed very much. Saw that they found him on the news this morning but didn't connect that with the guy I knew from the show until reading your post. Very sad to think of him dying scared and alone like that.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov