Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Salmonella Loaf?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Northerm NJ, USA

Salmonella Loaf?

by Tom NJ » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:11 pm

Hey gang -

I made a batch of pressure fried KFC-clone chicken in my super duper whydidtheyeverstopmakingthem? 1970's Wearever Chicken Bucket (why oh why did they ever stop making them? Other than the potential for company destroying lawsuits, I mean).

When I was done I had a good couple of cups of seasoned flour left. Flour through which had been dredged some number of raw chicken thighs.

On a whim I sprinkled in a package of quick rise yeast, some sugar, some vital wheat gluten, and enough warm water to form a dough. Which I kneaded. It's now rising in a warm place.

Am I about to kill myself?

When I took a tour of the Maker's Mark distillery we were told to go crazy and dunk our (unwashed) hands into the fermentation tank and scoop out a taste. The fermentation process - and one presumes, the distillation process afterwards - would kill any nasty germs we were assured. We all tasted the raw mash with raw hands. I still drink Maker's Mark. I'm still alive.

But...bread?

Waddaya think?
"He ordered as one to the Menu born...."
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Salmonella Loaf?

by Robin Garr » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:07 pm

Assuming you moved promptly from forming to rising to baking, I've got to think that if the bread is fully cooked you'll be okay, Tom. Reinhart generally recommends cooking loaves to an internal temp of 200 to 210, and that ought to be ample to kill any salmonella beasties.

According to Dr. Google, "Chicken held at 148°F for three minutes will kill 99.999999% of salmonella. While most conventional recipes say take chicken out at an internal temperature of 160°F, it only takes fourteen seconds to kill 99.999999% of bacteria."

So this seems to leave you plenty of wiggle room.

Personally, I might not find the idea of that bread palatable :P but that's just me. Frankly, I doubt there'll be any chicken aroma or flavor remaining in the finished bread, but hey, Chik'n In A Biskit ...
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:16 pm

Robin Garr wrote:...but hey, Chik'n In A Biskit ...

...is an awful cracker. It's only virtue is salt, of which it is not shy.

Tom, I appreciate the Yankee spirit that moved you to do something with the flour.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:34 pm

Not sure the bread would come out well, either, but I still like the idea. If I that occurred to me, I'd have to do it just to see how it worked out.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:49 pm

Shouldn't he have made drop biscuits, though? :D
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:50 am

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:Shouldn't he have made drop biscuits, though? :D

Bingo. However, he did say "on a whim" which basically precludes all thoughts required of pre-planning. He was following his spirit, and I support that.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:16 am

Haha! Great answers - and research, Robin. Thanks for all of it!

I have yet to pull the trigger (so to speak). When I wrote the original post last night it was just before going to bed. After getting off the computer I punched down the first rise, then covered it and set it to continue its second rise overnight in the fridge. That's where it is right now while I'm at work.

Will that allow salmonella/listeria/Ebola/The Dreaded Lurghy to thrive and take over? Who knows. Either way, it's going in the oven once I get home this afternoon.

Wish me luck! Er, health.

:D

ps. Jeff - if you have any leftover grilled lamb, I'll trade you half a loaf for some. If I survive.
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:18 am

Jenise wrote: He was following his spirit, and I support that.

*sob* I love you, man.