Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

what would you do

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

what would you do

by Barb Downunder » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:12 am

We have friends arriving next weekend for Christmas in July (an Aussie thing where we get to eat roast and pud etc in appropriate weather )
some will be staying at the motel next door which provides tea and coffee plus there are microwave oven and toaster in each unit.
While I am happy to do breakfast chez nous I would like to provide our guests with some options food wise in their units. relaxed is the mood for the weekend and they keep saying they don't want me to worry about any thing other than the big dinner, so what do you think would be a good thing to do, I am thinking providing a simple basket of goodies for maybe toast, cereal,fruit but my brain hurts. What ideas come to mind, what would you do ?
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: what would you do

by Howie Hart » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:52 am

If they also have a mini-fridge, you could supply them with a cold cut & cheese platter and wine.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:21 am

I'd suggest you "don't worry about any thing other than the big dinner".

Unless you know that they will want to prepare their own breakfast in room (there are some people who don't eat breakfast), and you know they won't be bringing something with them, and you know exactly what they like to eat for breakfast, you're likely to get a wole load of stuff they won't want.

If you get bread for toast (white, wholemeal, artisan?) then you'll need a speard (marge/butter?) topping (marmalade/jam/cosnserve?)
If crereall (cornflakes/porridge/honeypops....?) then you'll need milk (full fat/skimmed/....?) and are there spoons available?

Thy're adults, they've travelled before, and you've asked them, so leave them to it...
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:48 am

I think you can't go wrong providing bread, butter/jam, and fresh fruit. I think cereal is going too far: people are picky about their grains (I know I am!) and there's 85 kinds of milk, yada yada.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:54 pm

My first thought was to make a big batch of homemade granola and put some of that along with some 1% milk, some yogurt, fruit, and some sort of bread product in baskets but Peter and Jeff may have brought that idea crashing down all over me. I guess it depends on how well you know your guests and how picky they are about breakfast. I think the granola/fruit/yogurt/bread thing would work for a lot of people, but will you have to worry about making the granola gluten free or whether some of the people don't eat dairy? Those sorts of things could complicate it all.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:42 am

You guys cut to the crucial points, thank you!
I think I got a bit carried away with the whole hostess thing, they are well travelled grownups and
doubtless they have plans afoot.
I will make the offer of a late brunch and we can also discuss the menu at a favourite hangout.

Interesting really how varied breakfast can be and the alternatives within that one simple meal.
The guest who is staying with us has gone all Paleo since his partner died and he had to learn to cook!
but fortunately he retains flexibility and we love him

thanks
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:01 pm

You got some wise advice there, Barb. I personally don't wake up hungry, and I despise milk and yoghurt so don't eat cereals--if you went to all that trouble for me you'd have sadly wasted your time. At best, small baskets of fresh fruit that would provide a tide-me-over morning bite or late night snack for those who need that sort of thing would be a homey touch and no big deal if they didn't touch them at all.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov