Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Cut and Come Again Lettuce - Easy

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

Cut and Come Again Lettuce - Easy

by Peter May » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:38 am

lettuce-1.png

Tried for the first time this year.

I got a packet of seeds free in a magazine and sprinkled them in a small seed tray.

Idea is you don’t wait for a head of lettuce to form but just cut leaves when you want them, leaving the central part which will grow more leaves. Packet says that you can do this four times, so I planted another tray of seeds two months after the first but the first is still producing. The first tray’s leaves are now shorter and a more intense colour.

These two produce more than enough leaves for our family. They’re dead easy to grow, no thing or transplanting needed, just keeping them watered.

Variety is Lettuce Salad Bowl Red – with an oak leaf shape and they turn red as they grow. Leaves in the first planted tray are now much deeper red . First tray planted 9 April, second on 6 June.
lettuce-2.png

lettuce-3.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Cut and Come Again Lettuce - Easy

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:34 pm

How do they taste?
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:02 pm

Looks great!
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:23 am

Love stuff like this. They look great and it is much less wasteful, and best of all you get to eat fresh leaves when you want them.
I planted some perpetual spinach about three years ago and it is still going strong, just pick what you need;
even when the leaves get quite large they don't get bitter.
These sorts of plants are particularly good for small households like ours where we are just two.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:47 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:How do they taste?

Good*, slightly peppery.

I often pluck a leaf and eat it when I'm in the garden.

Only reason I'm growing that variety is I got given the packet but the principle holds for any mix of ettuce, peas shoots etc, aka mesclun (a term I only encountered this winter in NZ.

*if it didn't, we wouldn't be eating it :)

Last year grew curly kale, fouth the cabbage white butterflys that laid eggs on it even though netted but after all that when I proundly picked and cooked the leaves the family wouldn't eat them. I didn't like them either.