Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Regarding my upcoming trip to Costa Rica....

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Regarding my upcoming trip to Costa Rica....

by Jenise » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:06 pm

...This just in from my brother re the guys I'm planning to stay with.

"The other night Gary was awakened by a squawking chicken in panic mode just outside their bedroom window. He ran outside to find one of his (many) chickens in the mouth of a boa constrictor. Alberto grabbed his shotgun, but before he could manage to blast the poor boa, a neighbor by the name of Santos appeared with a machete and hacked the poor creature to death.

"The lifeless chicken was plucked (pardon the pun) from the mouth of his hapless attacker, and both were prepared for dinner that night. [Gary's Costa Rican husband] Alberto made a "tipico" Costa Rican dish out of it called Guacho, which uses a very finely ground corn meal as it's base, with the final (delicious) outcome being sort of a soup eaten tamale pie style. Of course, the joking amongst me and several of his friends was endless. It might taste a little funky I warned. I then offered some guesses as to what to call it, a jungle twist perhaps on surf and turf like 'cluck and slither'?"

Boa constrictors? :shock:
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

Re: Regarding my upcoming trip to Costa Rica....

by Fred Sipe » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:50 pm

What part of "the island" are you visiting?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:25 pm

Umm...the left side? We're flying into LIberia, closest to where Gary lives, but I don't know the name of the district or town.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:00 pm

Damn, I completely missed out on the boa dishes when I was there.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:00 am

It's served on a 30' long plate, too!
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:46 am

Probably just tastes like chicken.
Maybe boas just eat chickens,so we older women would be safe Jenise1!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:47 pm

This could be my year of the snakes.

When we were staying at our friend's home in Los Angeles a few months ago while I was recovering from that horrific infection, Bob and I made a trip out to the doctor's one morning while our friends made a Costco run. We got home before they did, so took the walk around the garage up to the front door, which is a six foot distance and 90 degree right turn off the walk. So it wasn't until we made that turn that we found a five foot long adult rattler stretched to full height against the door hissing and rattling.

I, who could barely walk, RAN. We taped a note to the garage door that J & A would find when they got home, and went somewhere to wait until the coast was clear.

A boa constrictor experience might make the rattle snake seem somewhat tame.