Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Has anybody ever roasted okra?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Has anybody ever roasted okra?

by Robin Garr » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:37 pm

We love okra over here, and know how to cook it so it's not slimy. :P Favorite options are Indian-style (bhindi) or Cajun-style (okra gumbo, etc.) I'll eat a bowl full of fried okra in a restaurant, but probably wouldn't do it at home.

I've never tried roasting it before, though, although to my mind, roasting is just about one of the best things you can do to any veggie. Naturally I was intrigued by this recipe for an okra roast with garlic butter, yum. I found it in a blog ("In Sock Monkey Slippers"), and now that I've stocked up on a big bag of fresh local okra at the farmers' market today, I'm ready to try it tonight.

Have any of you ever roasted okra? Any thoughts, tips or warnings?

Here's a link ...
http://www.insockmonkeyslippers.com/roa ... lic-butter

... and a copy of the recipe:

Roasted Okra with Garlic Butter
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 4 servings

Tender yet firm roasted okra bathed in a tempting garlic butter and kissed with flakes of sea salt, is a tempting summer side dish that's hard to put down

Ingredients

1 pound okra, trimmed of their ends
2 tablespoons grapes or canola oil
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 garlic clove. peeled and minced
Flaked sea salt such as Maldon
1 teaspoon of Tabasco or lemon juice, if desired

Directions

Preheat oven to 475°F.

In a large bowl, toss to combine okra and oil. Spread out evenly on a baking sheet. Roast for 15 minutes, flipping the okra every 5 minutes, until the okra begins to brown yet is still firm.

While the okra is cooking, melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté for a few minutes until you can just begin to smell the garlic. Remove from heat.

Once the okra is finished, transfer to a large bowl and add garlic butter, two pinches of salt, and Tabasco or lemon if using. Toss to coat, taste, and add any additional salt if needed.
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

Re: Has anybody ever roasted okra?

by Frank Deis » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:16 pm

Many times. I buy the smallest Okra I can find, I take off the tops and tails, sometimes I rub it with a tea towel to cut down on the prickles -- and then I do about what I do with Keller Toast. Baking sheet, hot oven (385+), olive oil, salt. Let it get a little brown.

You pop them into your mouth like potato chips, really good stuff.

I have also done some recipes where this is Step One. I'm thinking Ottolenghi but I don't feel like looking it up right now.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:40 pm

I meant to answer this when first posted - yes, have roasted okra, usually tossed in olive oil and then sprinkled with garam masala.

My wife visited my mom in GA at beginning of month. A cousin and her husband visited, and he left mom a huge thing of fresh picked okra. Betsy was going to bring some to me, but forgot. Mom told Roy, and next time he picked suddenly I had a priority mail box- of okra (survived trip well, looked fresh as farmers market).Betsy made a salad where you steam okra then toast with avocado, tomato, and feta. Then I grilled okra (tossed in oil with coriander, paprika, cayenne, celery seed, and a little salt and sugar). I did traditional Southern fried for a small batch to finish it off. I liked each recipe.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:10 pm

Dale Williams wrote:...suddenly I had a priority mail box- of okra...

You're very gracious, Dale. I'd've called the bomb squad. :shock:
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:18 pm

Dale Williams wrote:I meant to answer this when first posted - yes, have roasted okra, usually tossed in olive oil and then sprinkled with garam masala.

Garam masala fixes everything.
Decisions are made by those who show up