Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Best watermelon in eons!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Best watermelon in eons!

by Jenise » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:13 pm

DSCF0838-001.JPG

Bright yellow skin, red flesh, seeds, foot-ball sized; a variety called a 'Diana' according to the guy who grew and sold it to me (in British Columbia). So perfectly ripe that it practically split open all by itself when I stuck the knife in.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: Best watermelon in eons!

by Rahsaan » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:44 pm

I had a great one this weekend as well. Tasted like pure fresh fragrant watermelon essence.

But I don't think I'll ever love watermelon as much as other melons. They're not as delicious and the quality is too difficult to predict so you get too many duds.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:38 pm

Looks gorgeous but there's truth to what Rahsaan says.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:25 am

I had a very nice watermelon last month. It was a regular watermelon I picked up at the Italian deli around the corner. Shortly before buying it, some posted on FaceBook about selecting watermelons. The trick was to select ones where the banding between the green and yellow is distinct and not mottled or shading. I used that to select the watermelon. I don't know if the selection process is valid, but was very pleased with the result.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:14 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:Looks gorgeous but there's truth to what Rahsaan says.

I agree. There can be losers, and you can't smell their ripeness the way you can other melons.

But when a watermelon is good like this stupendous yellow one was, it's one of the best flavors in the world. When I was in the hospital a few months ago, watermelon was my favorite food--never frozen nor canned, always fresh and always cold, and though yeah some days it wasn't as good as other days, even the lesser ones felt like salvation in my mouth.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:19 pm

Howie Hart wrote:I had a very nice watermelon last month. It was a regular watermelon I picked up at the Italian deli around the corner. Shortly before buying it, some posted on FaceBook about selecting watermelons. The trick was to select ones where the banding between the green and yellow is distinct and not mottled or shading. I used that to select the watermelon. I don't know if the selection process is valid, but was very pleased with the result.

Hmmm...define mottled. Would have to think that's pretty arbitrary, and would also guess distinctness would be somewhat particular to variety or even growing conditions (heat, etc). The watermelons we buy that look the same are probably not all the same variety. Maybe it's a principal that can be used to know when to pick a ripe watermelon off the vine--most you see in a store would be the same. What's not the same though is how they sound. Some just 'thunk' where other's practically vibrate when spanked. I like the vibrators. Er, so to speak.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:32 pm

Jenise wrote: Would have to think that's pretty arbitrary, and would also guess distinctness would be somewhat particular to variety. The watermelons we buy that look the same are probably not all the same variety. Maybe it's a principal that can be used to know when to pick a ripe watermelon off the vine--most you see in a store would be the same. What's not the same though is how they sound. Some just 'thunk' where other's practically vibrate when spanked. I like the vibrators. Er, so to speak.

The thunk/thumping method or lifting to sense density gives me some sense of what's inside in terms of being too filled with water and therefore likely to be too soft and mushy. But the appearance would almost definitely have to depend on variety. (Plenty don't even have banding)

Yesterday at the market one of the farmers told me their key for picking in fields was that when the flower on the stem stops growing, the sugar has stopped growing/peaked. But, he also told me that he was not the best at picking and relied on one farm hand in particular who has a knack for these things.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:05 pm

Rahsaan wrote:The thunk/thumping method or lifting to sense density gives me some sense of what's inside in terms of being too filled with water and therefore likely to be too soft and mushy. But the appearance would almost definitely have to depend on variety. (Plenty don't even have banding)

Yesterday at the market one of the farmers told me their key for picking in fields was that when the flower on the stem stops growing, the sugar has stopped growing/peaked. But, he also told me that he was not the best at picking and relied on one farm hand in particular who has a knack for these things.

Soft and mushy is likely the result of just having been around too long. Watermelons don't ripen on your counter like most other melons do, they have to be picked at perfect ripeness.

But yes, the farmer was right. There's a tendril that shrivels up, and that's what they look for. The other visual is the color of the 'field spot', as they call it. When unripe, it's white but when the melon is good and ripe, it's the color of butter. I just checked several online sources and all were in agreement on these facts--no mention of banding.

Also, they backed up the tapping method. A flat, dull sound is underripe; what you want to hear is something that kind of echoes back like a hollow drum.