Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Induction cooking

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Northerm NJ, USA

Induction cooking

by Tom NJ » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:32 pm

My wife wants a portable induction cook top for her business. She'd be using it to melt and hold a pan of pure bees' wax at below a simmer while she uses a turkey baster to transfer that liquid wax into individual molds. The hold temperature would be somewhere in the 140 - 170 (f) range. Too cool and it clogs the nozzle of the baster before it exits. Too hot and it melts the molds. So the ability to hold a low, even temperature is her grail quest.

I set her up a bain marie, but she was not a fan. She wants the induction top.

Anyone have any experience with these - specifically low temp accuracy? I see Cook's Illustrated recommended the Max Burton, and I've read a lot of favorable reviews of the Fagor, but most of the stuff I've read have to do with their speed of cooking moreso than low-level accuracy.

Thanks!
"He ordered as one to the Menu born...."
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

Re: Induction cooking

by Barb Downunder » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:57 pm

Tom, I have found my induction cooktop very good at holding stocks etc at that "just shivering" stage,
I'll go and put a pot of water on low and see how well it holds and report back.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

by Barb Downunder » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:45 pm

Okay, I set a small pan of water on stove, set it at #1 and after preheating it held the temp at 55C +/-0.8 for 45 minutes.
Should work okay!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:01 am

High heat is definitely not what Wifey needs so much as temperature-controlled heat you can dial in by number (vs. Lo, Med, Hi) for perfect heat every time.

Coincidentally, I've been on Facebook a lot today in a new group for Class B van conversions and the hot topic was what different small appliances each of us has purchased to enable cooking things on picnic tables, essentially. So guess what the ad bloc over to my left is advertising right now? This!

http://www.nuwavecooktop.com/?ref_version=PPC-ADWORDS-PN07&gclid=CIqZxbrRjscCFZSCfgod35YPDw
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:25 am

Barb Downunder wrote:Okay, I set a small pan of water on stove, set it at #1 and after preheating it held the temp at 55C +/-0.8 for 45 minutes. Should work okay!

That's great Barb - thanks so much for going to the trouble of testing it for me!

But...what brand do you have?
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:33 am

Jenise wrote:High heat is definitely not what Wifey needs so much as temperature-controlled heat you can dial in by number (vs. Lo, Med, Hi) for perfect heat every time.

Coincidentally, I've been on Facebook a lot today in a new group for Class B van conversions and the hot topic was what different small appliances each of us has purchased to enable cooking things on picnic tables, essentially. So guess what the ad bloc over to my left is advertising right now? This!

http://www.nuwavecooktop.com/?ref_version=PPC-ADWORDS-PN07&gclid=CIqZxbrRjscCFZSCfgod35YPDw

HA! Those targeted ad algorithms sure are smart, aren't they?

Well, the ads may be smart but I understand the NuWave is most definitely not. Of all the brands I've been looking into, that's the one that gets the most scorn heaped upon it. I think I'll look elsewhere, even if on the surface it looks like it has the features my wife is jonesing for.

BTW, if she can, she'd like to get an actual digital temperature adjuster. Because the melt point of the natural bees wax she buys can vary between batches, as can the deformation point of the different molds, she sometimes needs to be +/- 5 degrees (f) of her target. A mere "Low/Med/High" setting dial would not suit her, she says. Right now she's using a pan on the stove with a heat diffuser trivet, and a dial thermometer, but there's enough variablility with that setup that she sometimes ruins entire batches.

Anyway, I've only just started looking last night. I'm sure I'll find something out there in this great Shoposphere that is the internet.

Thanks, Jenise! :D
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

by Barb Downunder » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:41 pm

My induction is an Omega which I believe is a Smeg rebranded for some market or other..
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:10 am

Barb Downunder wrote:My induction is an Omega which I believe is a Smeg rebranded for some market or other..

Thanks very much, Barb!

:D