Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

When perfect isn't perfect

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

When perfect isn't perfect

by Jenise » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:55 pm

The other day I stopped at a local roadside stand and bought six ears of yellow corn. I don't know the variety specifically, but the color was identically dark yellow on all six ears when raw, and identically amber and overly sweet when cooked. It had the dull, strong color and taste of canned corn, which I hate, vs. the pretty bright yellow of the corn I love.

When I was a kid, corn came from the corn field that was near our allergy doctor's office on the border of Whittier and Santa Fe Springs. With four asthmatic children we were there often, and too my grandmother drove by it on her way to our house and she often stopped there too. She would buy a dozen ears, and a dozen was always 13. We'd cook them all, and along with the summer squash and incredible tomatoes they also grew and sold at the corn field this was dinner.

The first ear I'd take was the yellowest/oldest one with biggest puffy kernels. My brother Chris on the other hand would choose the youngest, tenderest ear with the small, very pale yellow kernels. The next one I'd take would be more middle of the road, but in truth I loved them all and I especially loved them for being so different. It was always so exciting to me to see the cooked corn on the platter, and look at all the different colors and kernel patterns.

When I cook corn nowadays, I break the cobs in half before cooking. Two reasons: 1) I season them with butter, salt and pepper as a group before serving them (we use much less butter this way), and 2) it allows me to switch ear type more often and have more varied experiences as I eat.

But anymore, it's harder and harder to get that kind of variation. Maybe it's the way growers pick, or maybe the designer seeds from Big Agriculture are being bred for uniformity--whatever it is, I don't like it.

I want the corn of my childhood.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Ted Richards

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:00 pm

Toronto, Canada

Re: When perfect isn't perfect

by Ted Richards » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:39 pm

Jenise wrote:I want the corn of my childhood.

[rant]
Amen sister! I'm probably even more extreme, since I don't like corn that's sweet at all. I want corn that's starchy, not sweet - it's a vegetable, dammit, not a fruit (OK so it's really a grain, but who's counting). I don't mind sweet peppers (which are fruit) and sweet tomatoes (which are a fruit), but keep your cotton pickin' sugar away from my corn! Hrumph!
[/rant]
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:10 pm

I feel this exact same way about carrots, which I think I ranted about in another post. Hate the overly sweetened, over-sized supermarket carrots of today. Hat those little tiny nubs they try to pass off as baby carrots even more! :evil:
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:27 am

I'm with Brother Chris on this one... the little pale kernels have the best snap.
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

by Fred Sipe » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:29 pm

We have a few great farm markets nearby and they all seem to have great corn. My favorite is the bicolor or bread and butter or whatever they call it. On the younger side as opposed to older and steamed for only about 5 minutes.

We generally have it at lest a few times a week in season. And with a BLT with honest to goodness real tomatoes and lettuce... heaven!
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:28 pm

Ted Richards wrote:[rant]
I don't like corn that's sweet at all. I want corn that's starchy, not sweet ]

Just eat old corn!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:07 pm

I just like a natural corn flavor, which to me is a little sweet. But not candy-sweet like the stuff I bought the other day, and most white corn.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:11 pm

OK, gang: I bought four ears of corn today at the market. No sign on them other than "Fresh Corn". If I post pictures, can you identify the cultivar? (I promise to be very impressed if you do.)