Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

A Sriracha Tasting

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

A Sriracha Tasting

by Jenise » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:12 pm

srirachatasting.jpg

For entertainment at last Sunday's Supper Club dinner, I hosted a tasting of 11 srirachas and one of my wonderful guests brought a version she made at home the week before. Colors ranged from a orange through vibrant reds to reddish browns.

For tasting devices, I served thin cold celery sticks and thin crispy long wafers of wonton wrappers cut into thirds, sprayed with oil mist, and baked for four minutes at 400 F. They not only provided a light, not-filling tasting vehicle, they demonstrated the viscosity of each sauce as some, you'd dip, and the strip would pull out like a broth, leaving behind no trace, and others were the texture of thick ketchup where each dip permanently changed the surface and didn't close up. Some were in between. I will refer to those as light, medium and heavy viscosities.

The differences were illuminating. Anyone who thought sriracha was just one product learned otherwise. No two were alike, though the Kikkoman and Tabasco resembled each other quite a bit. Could have been the same sub-supplier with a single additional additive for differntiation.

Shark brand, Thailand: Orange-red, light-medium viscosity, sweetest of the 12 with a playful tamarind note to its acidity. .

Nang Fam, Thailand: orange-red too but one shade redder than the Shark, with bright Fresno red pepper fruit, medium viscosity, and terrific balance of heat/salt/sweet. One of my favorites, and my little bottle cost exactly $1.53 at Uwajimaya in Seattle.

Kikkoman, presumed U.S.: darkest brownish of them all, heavy viscosity, very salty, with fish sauce aftertaste. Fish sauce was a characteristic of several of these sauces, but few left the assertive fermented fish aftertaste this did. Disliked by all.

Thaifusions, Seattle: orange color, light viscosity, upfront notes of coconut fish sauce, very tangy. Unusual, and one of my favorites.

Lingham's, Malaysia: brownish red, medium-plus viscosity, with very roasted flavors on the fruit and nuttiness as if it contained peanuts. Was very love/hate with the group because of that nut flavor. I loved.

Tabasco, USA: brownest of them all, also the saltiest of them all, with heavy viscosity. Similar to the Kikkoman, but with a stale coffee note. Another that was disliked by all.

Huy Fong, California: deep crimson red, med-plus viscosity, and oddly homogenous in flavor with respect to the rest of the sauces. Didn't give us that "Oh yes, this is sriracha!" moment we expected (though maybe it would if any of us used it alone daily), but no flavor in particular stood out--the strongest impression was that it's not as sweet as I/we remembered it to be. No one loved, no one hated--we were just impressed with how unimpressed we were. Meh.

Yuzupao, Japan: Orange, light viscosity, with the lively,complex flavor of exotic yuzu citrus fruit and mildly bitter rind among the red peppers and garlic. Pretty much everyone's favorite among the commercially made sauces just for being so different and so good.

Trader Joe's, U.S.: Medium red, medium viscosity, tomato-ey, mildest/Americanized, tasted like a 50/50 blend of Hunts ketchup and Huy Fong. I've been using it at home in lieu of ketchup, in fact, on the very rare occasions Bob and I use either. Got one vote for 'favorite' for just that reason--from the Brit. Not that there's anything wrong with that! :)

Capital Sriracha, Sacramento: light orange-y red, light viscosity, smooth but present heat, vinegary like Tabasco therefore a sauce you could substitute for regular Tabasco Sauce. Most didn't care for the vinegar element. I liked it even if it's not what I think of as characteristic sriracha--it's a sriracha you could put on your eggs, where most aren't. (Guess who likes Tabasco on her eggs?) I liked this a lot.

Lee Kum Kee, ostensibly U.S.A: Fire engine red, heavy viscosity, with a strident metallic flavor and pulpy/coarse horseradish texture. Metallic flavor went away with the celery, but was quite obvious on the wonton crisp. Less sweet than most, and more heat. No one loved it, no one hated it.

Our Friend Linda's:
Bright red, medium viscosity, with exquisite balance of heat/sweet/sour enhanced by it's sheer freshness. Won the contest hands down (well, except for the Brit).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: A Sriracha Tasting

by Brian K Miller » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:58 pm

Interesting, Jenise. I didn't even know there were so many. :shock:

The sharp, almost harsh metallic flavor on the Lee Kum Kee was a big turnoff for me.

My favorite is a Thai version...Not as sweet as Huy Fong. Darnit can;t remember the name. It has a critter on the label, though. I think I posted here about it.

On a side note, Trader Joe's has a new green "Dragon" sauce that is jalapeno and tomatillo. I like it because it is all about the acid-definitely tangy and not that hot. But I really like vinegar flavors, and it works well as a complement on richer foods.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:19 am

Shark brand comes in (at least) two heat levels: Medium and Hot. The designation is on the bottleneck sleeve. I suspect you had the Medium--it seems to be the more commonly available one. importfood.com sells the Hot variety as well.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:58 am

Paul Winalski wrote:Shark brand comes in (at least) two heat levels: Medium and Hot. The designation is on the bottleneck sleeve. I suspect you had the Medium--it seems to be the more commonly available one. importfood.com sells the Hot variety as well.

-Paul W.

Didn't know that! Where I found this, there was just the one. In fact, I have been told Huy Fong makes a hot (might have a red or black top instead of green) but again, I never had a choice.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:15 pm

It's always so illuminating doing a massive side by side like this. Very cool.

Here is a similar comparison that one of our local food critics posted:
http://www.azcentral.com/story/entertai ... /28578339/
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:48 pm

Shark Medium is so far my favorite brand. I got a bottle of Shark Hot, but I haven't tried it yet. I also like Flying Goose brand (also from Thailand). I'm not a fan of Huy Fong, which has always struck me as coarse and heavy-handed, and with an unpleasant metallic aftertaste.

Has anyone tried Texas Pete Sriracha?

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:07 pm

Bill Buitenhuys wrote:It's always so illuminating doing a massive side by side like this. Very cool.

Here is a similar comparison that one of our local food critics posted:
http://www.azcentral.com/story/entertai ... /28578339/

Waaa! Bill, I get the headline and the picture, but the text is blanked out. Must require a subscription--can you copy the text over?
But yeah, taste tests are fun. Didn't realize anyone else had ever done Sriracha, but why wouldn't they. Interesting that the author and I only had a few overlaps. Sure are a lot of Srirachas in the world nowadays.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:09 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:
The sharp, almost harsh metallic flavor on the Lee Kum Kee was a big turnoff for me.

My favorite is a Thai version...Not as sweet as Huy Fong. Darnit can;t remember the name. It has a critter on the label, though. I think I posted here about it.

Understood re the LKK, but I think if you tasted it in a group like we did, the metallic flavor might have had reduced importance. Just as you'd have found that the Huy Fong isn't sweet at all, comparatively speaking. Unless there are wide batch variations. I think the Flying Goose was the one you liked. It was on my shopping list, but in the months it took me to collect these I never ran into it even once.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:13 pm

Paul Winalski wrote: I'm not a fan of Huy Fong, which has always struck me as coarse and heavy-handed, and with an unpleasant metallic aftertaste.

-Paul W.

We didn't find the Huy Fong metallic, but perhaps the way horizontal comparisons pop some flavors, they quash others. Never tried the Texas Pete--I saw ads for it but never ran into it when shopping.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:19 pm

Dominic Armato, AZ Republic, 8/14/15

Hey, I love rooster sauce as much as the next guy.

Wait, that's a lie. Truth is, it seems as though everybody loves Huy Fong Sriracha but me.

Every time somebody threatens a delicately scented bowl of pho with that neon green squirt cap, it's all I can do not to dive across the table and take the bullet myself. (A lousy bowl of pho, on the other hand, probably had it coming.)

Let's call Huy Fong Sriracha what it is: Asian-style ketchup.

Not that there's anything wrong with ketchup! I'm not sure the world's Michelin-starred chefs could come up with a more perfect soulmate for a crisp, salty french fry than a dab of Heinz. Like ketchup, Huy Fong has its place. But while those who slather everything in ketchup cower on the culinary fringe, Huy Fong overuse has somehow become the secret handshake of the foodily hip.

Problem is, we've been mainlining the stuff for so long now that its garlicky chile sting is as much a fix as it is a flavor. So while we drown ourselves in the Guy Fieri of Srirachas, the Thai sauces that inspired it go largely unnoticed. Cross the pond, and Sriracha is a very different beast, a fresh and lively balance of flavors that asserts itself without hogging the spotlight.

Consider this a plea for diversity. There's a big and beautiful world of chile sauces out there, but if we're hopelessly hooked on Sriracha, can we at least move beyond the rooster? I picked up ten bottles of Sriracha sauce at markets around town and did a blind tasting. In the end, the rooster didn't have much to crow about.

Sriracha Tasting Notes

Grand Mountain (Thailand)

Critic's Pick

$2.69 for 17.5 oz. at Lee Lee International Supermarket (Chandler and Peoria)

Light, sweet, and balanced with an almost fruity, fresh chile flavor. Undertones reminiscent of fish sauce lend a rich, umami base. Even the "hot" version isn't overly spicy.

Shark (Thailand)

Critic's Pick

$3.69 for 25 oz. at Mekong Supermarket (66 S. Dobson Rd., Mesa)

Sweet and vinegary, but very smooth. Well-rounded flavor with a gentle burn.

Thai Kitchen (Thailand)

$2.99 for 6.77 oz. at Whole Foods Market

Very smooth, almost creamy texture. Garlicky aroma. Mild, vinegary tang. Not very spicy.

Sky Valley (USA)

$6.99 for 18.5 oz. at Whole Foods Market

Very garlicky with a fermented chile aroma. Thick and intense, with good — if heavy and unevenly balanced — flavor.

Lee Kum Kee (Hong Kong, produced in USA)

$3.99 for 18 oz. at Whole Foods Market

Sour aroma, and an almost chunky consistency. Quite spicy. Heavy on garlic, light on sugar. Slightly off, processed flavor.

Sriraja Panich (Thailand)

$2.18 for 9.8 oz. at Lee Lee International Supermarket (Chandler and Peoria)

Fruity, tart, and smooth, the original Thai classic was nonetheless almost syrupy and light on chile flavor.

Ninja Squirrel (USA)

$3.99 for 16 oz. at Whole Foods Market

Fruity aroma. Cloyingly sweet and tomatoey. Medium heat.

Kikkoman (USA)

$3.39 for 10.6 oz. at Mekong Supermarket (66 S. Dobson Rd., Mesa)

Spiciest sauce tasted, very sharp and unpleasantly acrid. Reminiscent of fermented chiles, like Korean gochujang. Strong crushed garlic flavor.

Trader Joe's (USA)

$2.99 for 18.25 oz. at Trader Joe's

Chunky sauce. Very flat flavor with an unpleasant bitter garlic aftertaste.

Huy Fong (USA)

$1.59 for 9 oz. at Lee Lee International Supermarket (Chandler and Peoria)

USA's beloved "Rooster Sauce" had a musty, unpleasant odor, and unbalanced, spicy ketchup flavor very heavy on garlic. But it's hot, so there's that.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:08 pm

Bill, thanks. Sounds like Dominic and I have very similar palates. His notes remind me how little I was thinking about garlic while tasting, though upon seeing his emphasis I realize that it was a roasted garlic flavor in the Tabasco and Kikkoman I so disliked, where when the garlic tasted fresher/uncooked, I enjoyed it. He and I must have had very different batches of the Trader Joe's though. No way is mine 'chunky', where we agreed on that re the Lee Kim Kee which confirms we have a similar vocabulary.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:26 pm

There's a sriracha made in Sacramento? How did I not know this???
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:40 am

Interesting.

I've not yet had a sauce labeled Sriracha, though the shops here carry a huge range of chilli sauces, I've not seen Sriracha among them.

I also don'tbrecall seeing it in Thailand when I was there, they sometimes had sweet red chilli sauces on cafe tables but the usual chilli sauce - and the one I had -- was just chopped birds-eye chillis in fish sauce, which is dead easy to make at home and gives a pleasant lift to any rice dish.

I went to a chilli festival a couple of years ago and tasted a great many sauces and the ones I settled on I now have several times a week as the maker attends the monthly farners market in Snorbens.

Green Chilli sauce is mild and has a lovely flavour, Numero Uno is the go-to sauce, hot with a good flavour and Scorchio is for when I just want a blast of heat. http://fatmanchilli.webs.com/ourproducts.htm

I've so many chillis growing, I've just pickled a crop of large thick-skinned green & black chillis (Pili Pili & Black Hungarian and I'm intening making a fermented sauce from my think skinned hot chillis - http://www.gardenbetty.com/2014/10/ferm ... ile-sauce/

Anyone done this?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:34 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:There's a sriracha made in Sacramento? How did I not know this???

Dunno! But now that we've broken the news to you, find it! It's good. Yesterday I threw half of these srirachas away but not the Capital (or the Yuzupao, Thaifusions, Nang Pam or Trader Joe's which as I said elsewhere we like as a ketchup substitute.) Wasteful, I know, but I have no means for using so many, let alone the few I didn't actually like.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:51 pm

Pete, sriracha sauce's origins are attributed to a housewife in the Thai coastal city of Si Racha--hence the name. Doesn't appear to be an Americanization so am surprised it wouldn't therefore be used in Europe or Thailand itself, though when shopping for my 'contestants' I did see a few bottles labeled simply 'Thai red chile sauce' which might have been same-as, and in fact some producers might elect to use it as 'plain English'. Beats me!

Btw, in prepping for this test, I also learned that the runnier texture is typical of the original--what I called 'light viscosity'.

Oh, and I hope you didn't take offense at my referring to Roger as "the Brit". He's a good friend with a great sense of humor, and enjoys being ribbed about his British heritage where certain matters of taste are concerned. This was one.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:27 pm

Jenise wrote:Bill, thanks. Sounds like Dominic and I have very similar palates. .

Dom is a very interesting guy. He is a mod for the LTHForum.com (Chicago foodies) and also started the phxfoodnerds.com site when he moved from Chicago to the desert. The PHX site popularity basically caused the PHX Chowhound page to be filled with the sound of crickets. It's refreshing to have someone with a deep understanding of all types of food at all price points (his search for his favorite Sonoran hotdog is a great read) and a true love of global food to be the critic for the largest publication in AZ.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:20 am

So, what makes a chilli sauce a 'sriracha'?

All those different countries you tested making a 'sriracha' but using different ingredients: fish sauce sounds authentic, the Thais use it instead of salt and it's a ubiquitous flavouring in foods, but coconut, tamarind, peanut, citrus, vinegar?

Wikipedia implies the name was popularised by the Californian Huy Fong company who failed to copyright it, again implying that it could be copyrighted, that it wasn't a generic name when they started producing it.

Cookthink site says 'Sriracha is thicker and not quite as hot as Louisiana-style hot sauces like Tabasco and Frank's RedHot'*. I've not had the second but I don't think Tabasco is hot..

No offence taken

*http://www.cookthink.com/reference/60/What_is_sriracha .
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:00 am

Thai sriracha seems to be made of these ingredients: chile, water, sugar, garlic, salt and vinegar. No fish sauce. Huy Fong's sriracha has the same ingredients, plus a couple of preservatives and xanthan gum (which is probably why it's thicker than the Thai versions).

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:14 am

All those different countries you tested making a 'sriracha' but using different ingredients: fish sauce sounds authentic, the Thais use it instead of salt and it's a ubiquitous flavouring in foods, but coconut, tamarind, peanut, citrus, vinegar?

I don't know that those ingredients were in the sauces. I only reported on the flavors I perceived.

Cookthink site says 'Sriracha is thicker and not quite as hot as Louisiana-style hot sauces like Tabasco and Frank's RedHot'*. I've not had the second but I don't think Tabasco is hot..

Well, their opinion of that would be accurate based on the Huy Fong style, but also per Wikipedia it doesn't apply to the Thai original, which is thinner. I agree with you that Tabasco isn't that hot, I don't think it's as hot as Huy Fong Sriracha. Kind of hard to know in a way, though, because of the difference in thickness. Tabasco is so thin you don't use much, and Huy Fong Sriracha is so thick you tend to use more.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:49 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:Shark Medium is so far my favorite brand. I got a bottle of Shark Hot, but I haven't tried it yet. I also like Flying Goose brand (also from Thailand). I'm not a fan of Huy Fong, which has always struck me as coarse and heavy-handed, and with an unpleasant metallic aftertaste.

-Paul W.

FLYING GOOSE is my brand. :)

Thanks, Paul!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:16 am

Jenise wrote:

Well, their opinion of that would be accurate based on the Huy Fong style, but also per Wikipedia it doesn't apply to the Thai original, which is thinner..

In my experience the Cookthink observation applies to the Thai original, too. Thai srirachas are thinner than Huy Fong, but they are thicker than Tabasco.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:52 pm

Paul, we're not on different pages. In my notes, I specificed light, medium and heavy viscosities. Tabasco is thinner than what I referred to as 'light' in this range of srirachas. I was just reacting to whoever Cookthink is and their comparisons to Louisiana style hot sauces (one of which I have no experience with). I actually thought Frank's Red Hot was for Buffalo Wings.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:26 pm

So did sriracha exist prior to Huy Fong or is everyone else around the world following their lead?
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:59 am

It existed well before Huy Fong.