Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Gas vs. Induction

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Gas vs. Induction

by Bill Spohn » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:10 pm

I am contemplating possibly using a new cook top. I am a diehard gas stove user, but have never paid much attention to induction cooking. Having done some reading it seems that there are some advantages to it. My question here is to solicit opinions from cooks that have used both. Which do you prefer and why?
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

Re: Gas vs. Induction

by Christina Georgina » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:48 pm

Dreamt about gas for years but at the last minute installed an induction hob on the island. So sorry I did not go all induction. So much more control. Energy efficient. No knobs and terrifically easy to keep clean. No drawbacks as far as I am concerned especially if total wattage sufficient and not shared. Most cookware today can be used on induction tops. Still need a hood for high watt cooking but no flame draw as with gas.
Look at Gaggenau.
About ready to swap out the Blue Star 6 burner....
Perhaps the only drawback is that you need to be conscious of what can be installed under the unit. When we installed on the island as a secondary cook station we could not have the Miele oven underneath. A vented, drawer worked. The technology has likely advanced so other electrical appliances now compatible but you still require dead space beneath the unit
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:15 pm

Thanks for the feedback - sounds encouraging.

I see these all the time in an island with no hood - wonder how cooking bacon goes!? Used to have a Jenair electric cooktop with an extractor fan that sucked it down into the cabinet and out....
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:59 pm

Yes, no hood on the island and do cook bacon there. Enough space around the unit to catch the spatter. The ease of clean up is fantastic. Would not do deep frying without a hood. I save that for the high BTU gas and VentAHood cooktop and the only thing I fry like that are squash flowers [ tonight, blossoms stuffed with basil wrapped buffala mozz. Woops, wrong thread ]
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:12 am

Bill, I had gas for 25years and thought that would always be my preference.
When we bought a house in rural community for our retirement we were faced with
Either all electric or installing bottled gas. After test driving induction with a portable induction unit I was sold,we installed a four "burner" ceramic unit with 2 induction &2 regular (I have a lot of pans
Which are not induction compatible). The induction burners are my go to almost Always, fast and so controllable,easy to maintain a "shimmer" when making stocks and sauce etc.
I am very happy!!
Bacon cooking is always going to permeate the world!
As an aside as an ageing person I feel the induction is a lot safer, can't leave the gas on, and there is usually an indicator which tells you if the surface is hot.
Summary
Safe
Fast
Very easy to maintain the perfect temperature
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:18 am

Not having to turnoff a hob is so useful, and was an unexpected bonus.

Take a bubbling pan off the hob, turn to pour out water and deal with contents and you don't have to remember to turn back and switch off hob. When nothing is on the hob, no power is beingused and it automatically turns off after a minute or so - but if you put pan back on in that time it continues at previosu setting.

I've noticed induction hobs being used professionally in hotel breakfast egg stations and on river cruises