Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Question for Rahsaan

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

Question for Rahsaan

by Christina Georgina » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:43 pm

Wondering how the almonds worked in your pesto. I have a plethora of Thai basil and have been fooling around with pesto combos and decided not to use almonds because they are so hard and never get small enough in the processor. [ I just now thought about using almond butter.] I've kept it all basil but have variations with lemongrass, ginger, sesame oil, fish sauce, garlic, hot pepper, toasted walnuts and peanuts.
Looking for a way to preserve the basil and use it on rice, rice noodles, roasted vegetables, fish during the winter.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: Question for Rahsaan

by Rahsaan » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:42 pm

My own thread!

I don't know what to tell you. So many variables and it all depends on taste.

Nothing replaces the seductive silky richness of pine nuts, but sometimes I use walnuts (for a stronger taste) and sometimes I use almonds (for a background richness with milder taste). I don't have a superduper food processor or anything (just a basic blender), and I get them fine enough for my tastes. I usually chop them and quickly toast them in a pan first, which helps soften them up a bit. And then obviously the amount of liquid/oil plays a role too.

But, nothing like doing a sample batch to see if you like it, before proceeding with big freezing operations!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:52 pm

Silky/richness--cashews?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:20 pm

Jenise wrote:Silky/richness--cashews?

I can't remember using them, although we always have them and I probably have tried it in the past.

Are you a fan?

I know cashews are big in the vegan community, but they seem to have a meaty richness that I'm not always looking for in such pestos. (Plus, cheese provides that umami depth in a much more delicious way!)

Still, you've got me thinking. Will probably try them (again) soon.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:22 pm

I used macadamias recently and thought they worked well.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child