Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Off to NYC...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Fredrik L

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:54 pm

Off to NYC...

by Fredrik L » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:15 am

...for a couple of days. Not much time for fine dining as I will attend a two-day tasting on Long Island, but perhaps other places worth mentioning: great bread, coffee, ice cream? Any tips regarding anything you can drink or eat located not too far away from W 32nd Street and Broadway would be appreciated! (If it is really good, I do not mind going 45 min in a cab!)

Greetings from Sweden / Fredrik L
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Northerm NJ, USA

Re: Off to NYC...

by Tom NJ » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:09 am

My wife and I really enjoy Artisanal Fromagerie & Bistro ( http://artisanalbistro.com ). It's only about 3 blocks from you, on East 32nd Street between Madison and Park.

Aside from the cheeses, their specialty, we've never been disappointed by other items on their menu.

Oh - if you're tempted to try a fondue, skip the "100 Cheese Fondue" if it's on offer that day. It's the one and only thing that didn't live up to they hype. It was well made, but so many cheeses comprise it that it actually loses any individual character and comes out monochromatic and rather dull. We thought so, anyway.

Hope you have a successful trip, and the weather is nice for you!
"He ordered as one to the Menu born...."
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:07 am

thinking of things that might not be as available in Sweden, you're basically in Koreatown. Lots of good options for Korean. Hanbat is not cutting edge, more a Korean diner, but the pancakes are tasty, and it's 24 hours. If you have time for a more serious Korean experience other nice options.

For fine dining, you're quite close to 11 Madison, NoMad, etc. Of course all of Manhattan (and most of Queens and Brooklyn) are less than 45 minutes by cab, even in traffic.

.Maybe Jeff has coffee or ice cream suggestions.

next time throw and extra day in there and let us set up an offline!
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:18 am

In Koreatown, I certainly liked Hangawi, though it has been many years.

Coffee near you... try Blue Bottle, south side of Bryant Park (40th St, 5th/6th Ave).

If you're willing to go 45 minutes by cab, well, heck, the whole city is yours! What do you like?
no avatar
User

Fredrik L

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:54 pm

by Fredrik L » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:48 am

Thanks, guys! :)

I will arrive on Friday and the jet lag will keep me from doing anything that evening and Saturday and Sunday are booked, but I will try to have lunch in a Korean place (I do not think I have ever been to one!) and visit the Fromagerie and Blue Bottle, too!

Greetings from Sweden / Fredrik L
no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

by Joe Moryl » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:33 pm

Other good coffee in that area: Stumptown at the Ace Hotel, W 29th and B'way and a little further, Cafe Grumpy, 224 W. 20th St.