Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Flemings Steak House?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

Flemings Steak House?

by Peter May » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:36 am

Just got a press release from them saying they now have 100 wines by the glass.

http://www.flemingssteakhouse.com/F100PR

I'm going to be in US in just over a weeks time for the AWS conference and there's a Flemings near the hotel, and I like US steakhouses...

So, what's the opinion on Flemings?

Also, they offer 'double-cut french fries'.. what on earth does 'double-cut' mean?

Doube fried I get, that's how my mum cooked them yonks ago (though triple cooked is now the restaurant fashion here)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Flemings Steak House?

by Jenise » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:10 pm

Never been to a Flemings, have never heard of a double-cut French fry unless it's what I also know as a waffle fry, and sorry to say I was a lot more impressed with the idea of a 100-BTG list than I am after perusing it. For the most part, those are wines no one will be sorry to dump when they oxidize after sitting open too long. Save the Duckhorn merlot, most of the American offerings are low-priced, mass production wines made to please inexperienced palates, like 14 Hands, or widely-distributed international wines you can buy in any Costco, like Kim Crawford SB from New Zealand.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:38 pm

Fleming's is part of the same corporate family as Carrabba's Italian and Bonefish Grill. Distinctly corporate, but that being said, they tend to be a cut above much of the competition, apparently comprehending that quality can actually be a factor in long-term profit rather than a deterrent to short-term numbers. All three restaurants give more than minimal attention to wine, but as Jenise pointed out, their lists are predictable. They pretty much have to be, relying on large-scale, widely distributed producers to build a list that's consistent across all their properties.

All three companies are above average for corporate chains. If I had to go to one for a business meeting, I wouldn't kick and scream. But it would not be my first choice for personal dining.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:10 pm

Even in a high volume operation, keeping 100 different wines by the glass fresh, would be practically impossible.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:46 pm

Nation's Restaurant News has an interesting interview with Fleming's wine guru. NRN is a trade publication, and they're not going to smack down an industry player, but the article is interesting:
http://nrn.com/beverage-trends/fleming- ... ail-trends

From this selected paragraph, it sounds as if they use a commercial vacuum system a bit like the old Vacu-Vin brought up to date for restaurant service.

With 100 wines by the glass, what technology do you use to keep the wine fresh? Do you just pour a lot of wine?

We do pour a lot of wine, but we also use a flash vacuum system after every pour. It essentially is a special stopper, and we have a handle that kind of looks like a soda gun handle that’s mounted at several places along the bar, and after [the bartenders] pour they put the stopper back in and out comes the air. It takes just a second. We used to use argon gas back in the beginning, and we found this system to be more effective.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:04 am

What I suspected, thanks.

All the same, I think it better to go to a steak house and have a choice of wine by the glass rather than the single 'house' wine.
Might be inexpensive big brands, but they're the US VdT or VdP equivalent. I'll be drinking plenty of fine wines at the conference.

I don't like buying wine by the glass, because bottles have usually been open too long. I either ask which wine they'll hav eto open a new bottle for and havethat, or if there are two of us wanting justa glass, say at lunchtime, I'll order a bottle and leave the rest. But I'll be on my own on this trip.

But I loath the vacuvin type system ..
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:52 pm

What Jenise and Robin said.

Add to the corporate list: PF Changs. (The PF is Peter Fleming.)

Used to call on them in my corporate days. Pretty decent and reliable as chain steakhouses go; good dry aged meat. High quality standards.

Flemings puts a lot of thought into their wine program, but they are of course hampered by the multiple-location/central control aspect and have to put out a basic list that recognizes what should be available in every location.

Yeah, it's safe. And largely predictable. Still, there are some standouts (as long as we don't talk about prices): Loimer Gruner, Susana Balbo, Colome, Meiomi, Sonoma-Cutrer. Not a thrilling list, but workable.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:28 pm

Hoke wrote:Add to the corporate list: PF Changs. (The PF is Peter Fleming.)

Did not know that.

Not a thrilling list, but workable.

Perfectly said.