Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Knife and fork: Euro-style or American-style?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Knife and fork: Euro-style or American-style?

by Robin Garr » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:13 pm

Do you handle your knife and fork Euro-style or American style? I think the old norms are disappearing on both sides of the Atlantic. This rather stuffy Brit is outraged, but I'm curious how most of us - wherever we are - handle our utensils in the 21st century.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink ... t-sin.html
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Knife and fork: Euro-style or American-style?

by Robin Garr » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:14 pm

My own odd personal story: I picked up on the Euro-style of fork and knife as a child, probably from the movies. It made sense to my grade-schooler's brain, so I adopted it. This horrified my parents, so I continued doing it with delight. :lol: This has served me well during frequent trips to Europe
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:07 pm

I picked up the Euro-style while a student in 1960, and kept it.
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:55 pm

It's a little hard for me to remember because it was long ago and didn't last long. But I changed my table manners drastically when I was at Phillips Andover, with tutelage from a couple of fellow students, and I think that may have included switching fork hands. I also learned to eat fried chicken with a knife and fork, as well as eating watermelon with a knife and fork.

When I went home, and then to college, absolutely nobody was impressed and I went back to my rustic ways.

I will occasionally eat a chicken drumstick with a knife and fork just to prove I still can but that is kind of rare.
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:42 pm

Sometimes one, sometimes the other. Depends on what I'm eating more than where I am. I guess I'm just a something-glot.
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:37 pm

Frank Deis wrote:I also learned to eat fried chicken with a knife and fork, as well as eating watermelon with a knife and fork.

That is what Pumpkin does, too. He can lick a plate clean using only knife and fork. I don't understand how he can do this.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:18 am

I think there are a number of social and class undercurrents in the article that aren't apparent on the other side of the pond..

We obvioulsy eat with fork in left and knife in right, cutting when necessary immediately before forking that piece into the mouth.

My son eats in the American way, cutting each piece into bite size pieces immediately the plate arrives in front of him, then not using knife again. A habit he adopted when at uni in US and which he persists in probably at first to annoy us and now because it's enthrenched. It reminds me of when he was a toddler and when we had to cut up his food for him.

We are all going to a formal London restaurant tonight and I'll be cringing...
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:27 am

Peter May wrote:My son eats in the American way, cutting each piece into bite size pieces immediately the plate arrives in front of him, then not using knife again.

I'm not sure if you meant to imply that the American way includes cutting EVERYTHING on your plate at the outset--but it doesn't. Rather, you cut as you go. Even to us this is a lot like cutting up a child's food. :)

I feel your pain!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:02 pm

Jenise wrote:

I'm not sure if you meant to imply that the American way includes cutting EVERYTHING on your plate at the outset--but it doesn't. Rather, you cut as you go.

He used to do that but I guess over time he found it a more efficient way than keep swapping fork and knife throughout the meal.

Anyway, at the posh restuarant the table decorations, decanter meant I couldn't see how he handled his cutlery.

And, I found a bargain bottle on the wine list, Klein Constantia 'Vin de Constance' 2007, 97 Wine Advocate points, at £44 -- only £7.65 more expensive than retail!!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:33 pm

Peter May wrote:
Jenise wrote:

I'm not sure if you meant to imply that the American way includes cutting EVERYTHING on your plate at the outset--but it doesn't. Rather, you cut as you go.

He used to do that but I guess over time he found it a more efficient way than keep swapping fork and knife throughout the meal.

Anyway, at the posh restuarant the table decorations, decanter meant I couldn't see how he handled his cutlery.

And, I found a bargain bottle on the wine list, Klein Constantia 'Vin de Constance' 2007, 97 Wine Advocate points, at £44 -- only £7.65 more expensive than retail!!

Can't argue with the efficiency argument, but freshly cut tastes better in part because it stays hotter longer. But you can't argue that to someone who doesn't discern that.

What a deal on the Klein. Fantastic wine.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov