Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Roast Chicken Thighs with Potatoes, Artichokes & Lemon

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ted Richards

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:00 pm

Toronto, Canada

RCP: Roast Chicken Thighs with Potatoes, Artichokes & Lemon

by Ted Richards » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:50 pm

I've come to really like skin-on chicken thighs for roasting or sautéeing. I adapted this recipe from one I found on Fine Cooking magazine's web site, by Joanne Smart. It turns out quite yummy. I upped the ingredients for the sauce and the vegetables.

Roast Chicken Thighs with Potatoes, Artichokes & Lemon

¼ cup plus 3 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, more for the baking sheet
2 very large bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs, trimmed of excess skin and fat
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
10- to 12-oz package frozen artichoke hearts or 14-oz can artichoke hearts
1 large lemon
¾ lb small potatoes, such as fingerling or baby Yukon golds, those over 2 inches cut in half
4 small sprigs fresh thyme
3 medium-sized onions sliced very thick

Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 450°F.

Lightly oil a heavy-duty rimmed baking sheet. Put the chicken thighs on the baking sheet with plenty of room in between them. Season well with salt and pepper and roast in the hot oven for 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, if using frozen artichokes, remove them from their package and rinse them in a colander under warm water to separate them and to begin to thaw them. (It's fine if they're still partially frozen when you roast them.) If using canned artichokes, just remove them from the can. Drain them well.

Thinly slice ¾ of the lemon and juice the other quarter. Measure 4 tsp of the juice into a small bowl and whisk in 3 Tbsp of the olive oil.  Season to taste with salt and pepper. Save any remaining juice for another use.

Put the artichokes in a large bowl with the potatoes, thyme sprigs, lemon slices, onion slices, the remaining 1/4 cup olive oil, 1 tsp. of salt and a few grinds of pepper. Toss to coat well. Try to keep the onion slices whole.

When the thighs have roasted for 15 minutes, take the baking sheet out of the oven. Dump the artichokes, potatoes, lemon slices and onion slices onto the baking sheet in the empty spots surrounding the thighs. Try to distribute things more or less evenly and in a single layer so the vegetable get nicely browned. Keep the lemon slices toward the center of the pan so they don't burn.

Continue roasting until the chicken skin is crisp, the meat cooked through, and the artichokes, potatoes and onions are tender and browned, another 30 to 40 minutes.

Divide the thighs and the vegetables between two plates. Drizzle each serving with the lemon vinaigrette.

2 servings
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: RCP: Roast Chicken Thighs with Potatoes, Artichokes & Le

by Jenise » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:04 am

Sounds delicious. Great combo of flavors and coincidentally, I brought two whole leg-thigh quarters home from Seattle last night, and just yesterday morning I noted a bag of frozen artichokes that have probably been in my freezer for a year. But a niggly point: what kind of lemons you got over there? 1/4 of any nearly any lemon I've ever met would not yield 4 tsp of juice. More like half, or even more if you have small or underripe lemons.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Ted Richards

Rank

Ultra geek

Toronto, Canada

by Ted Richards » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:06 pm

Jenise wrote:what kind of lemons you got over there? 1/4 of any nearly any lemon I've ever met would not yield 4 tsp of juice. More like half, or even more if you have small or underripe lemons.

Well, I did say a large lemon :D . The original recipe called for 1 lemon for 4 people, and you sliced half and juiced half, and only used 4 tsp of the juice. When I cut the recipe down for 2 people (mostly just cutting down from 4 to 2 thighs and from 1 to ¾ lb of potatoes), I used one lemon and found I had too much juice and not enough slices for my taste (not to mention that the two slices that weren't in the centre of the pan did get burnt). The next time I squeezed the half [thin-skinned] lemon until I got enough juice, and then was still able to get more slices out of the squeezed half. I'd try a large lemon and maybe squeeze a third and slice two thirds.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:41 am

I made this last weekend. Fantastic, thanks for posting!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Ted Richards

Rank

Ultra geek

Toronto, Canada

by Ted Richards » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:45 pm

Jenise wrote:I made this last weekend. Fantastic, thanks for posting!

You're welcome. I'm glad you enjoyed it. So how much lemon did you end up slicing/juicing?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:48 pm

The lemons I have right now are juicy, usual-sized Eurekas (which are by nature a large lemon). Squeezed in the contents of a whole lemon and separately sliced about half another. But then I love tart lemon flavor, so as a rule I would use more than most would prefer.