Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Kitchen Remodel

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Re: Kitchen Remodel

by Bill Spohn » Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:31 pm

We gave the specs to the cabinet shop and chose (tentatively) the materials (maple) and are waiting for a quote right now.

I'll try and remember to take a couple of shots of the demo site that was the kitchen!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:07 pm

Cool. What's the width of your appliance bar going to be?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:25 pm

Jenise wrote:Cool. What's the width of your appliance bar going to be?

Around 50" I think. Enough for a mixer, a Cuisinart and a coffee station (grinder, brewer and espresso machine).

We need a foot and a half for the recycling stuff at the end and the freezer takes up the other side. Nothing as grandiose as your appliance 'hanger' (picture the culinary equivalent of the Spruce Goose hanger)! :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:49 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:
Jenise wrote:Cool. What's the width of your appliance bar going to be?

Around 50" I think. Enough for a mixer, a Cuisinart and a coffee station (grinder, brewer and espresso machine).

We need a foot and a half for the recycling stuff at the end and the freezer takes up the other side. Nothing as grandiose as your appliance 'hanger' (picture the culinary equivalent of the Spruce Goose hanger)! :mrgreen:

Actually, mine's only around 50". No more than 60" for sure. Only grandiose because of the chain mail curtain. 50" should do well for you, and the Panini press can go there, too. Just make sure they give you some depth so things can rotate from back to front. Other small items can get stored in a cabinet above for occasional uses. Recycling--not going to be hampers/pull-outs in the cabinets underneath the bar? Recycling wouldn't need vertical space.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:35 pm

Jenise wrote: Other small items can get stored in a cabinet above for occasional uses. Recycling--not going to be hampers/pull-outs in the cabinets underneath the bar? Recycling wouldn't need vertical space.

Thinking of havig a couple of shelves up top for cook books. . Recycling will go beside it (waste goes in two cans in the island).
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:17 am

Bill Spohn wrote:
Jenise wrote: Other small items can get stored in a cabinet above for occasional uses. Recycling--not going to be hampers/pull-outs in the cabinets underneath the bar? Recycling wouldn't need vertical space.

Thinking of havig a couple of shelves up top for cook books. . Recycling will go beside it (waste goes in two cans in the island).

You'll have cabinets underneath, though? Something has to support your 'bar', might as well be storage! I put all drawers under mine. A row of four shallow drawers then four deep drawers, two upper, two lower. That's where all my Tupperware-ish stuff goes, also all the extra blades for the Cuisinart, etc. My bar is 60" across with a 20" deep granite counter, with shallower cabinets above whose faces pull up like a garage door (which I love). That's where I keep tall stuff like decanters and water pitchers.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:23 am

Yes, definitely drawers underneath and I think book shelves above for cook books.

We aren't going to continue the maple and granite into the pantry - just white with the same door design - simple shaker style with a bevel.

Right now it is a battle between my pantry counter length and Suzanne's recycling centre at the end. I'll let you know who wins the contest.

May as well have counter depth in the panrty th same as the freezer depth - around 26/5", no?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:51 am

Bill Spohn wrote:Yes, definitely drawers underneath and I think book shelves above for cook books.

We aren't going to continue the maple and granite into the pantry - just white with the same door design - simple shaker style with a bevel.

Right now it is a battle between my pantry counter length and Suzanne's recycling centre at the end. I'll let you know who wins the contest.

May as well have counter depth in the panrty th same as the freezer depth - around 26/5", no?

Definitely agreed on the counter depth. Mo' is bettah, as long as the path width allows you to take that much. IIRC, the bench already there was fairly shallow, and the refrigerator inset alone was deeper. I recall measuring that depth vs. the depth on the other side by the door (wondering if flip-flopping the locations was a possibility), and they weren't equal.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:28 pm

Meeting with the cabinet shop next week for them to measure and me to discuss the plan. In the mean time, nothing but waste and devastation!

But the wine cellar is progressing - cooling unit is on site and the window and doors are removed and framed in, waiting for the spray insulation to happen. And my wife is laughing at the stained glass grape related light I picked up for it.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:43 pm

Cool!

Btw, on your appliance bar, I take it you DID provide task lighting directly over the appliances and allow for the height of your mixer, right?
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:39 am

Jenise wrote:Cool!

Btw, on your appliance bar, I take it you DID provide task lighting directly over the appliances and allow for the height of your mixer, right?

You bet. I need clearance for my coffee maker to have water poured in and my Kitchenaid mixer to tilt up, plus a bit.

Here is the lamp my wife is laughing at me for - around 20" across, quite areg and intended for use in the wine cellar.

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:42 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:You bet. I need clearance for my coffee maker to have water poured in and my Kitchenaid mixer to tilt up, plus a bit.

Good. I spaced my appliance bar overhead cabs based on the Kitchen Aid mixer I owned (16 1/2" tall) and now that I have to replace it, I'm limited to the same kind. Can't have the tilt-up I'd kill for, though I did get one with a larger motor.

That lamp is amusing. Should fit nicely into the house...just a few more pieces, and you could start a stained glass museum! :)
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:46 pm

You haven't seen the stained glass window that I'm having set in my study door.....
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:50 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:You haven't seen the stained glass window that I'm having set in my study door.....

Seriously? Cool. It's not coming from Palmerston, is it?
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:35 pm

Jenise wrote:
Bill Spohn wrote:You haven't seen the stained glass window that I'm having set in my study door.....

Seriously? Cool. It's not coming from Palmerston, is it?

No, something I picked up recently - my intention is to have it mounted in the door to my study. It is modern, but I like it. Sorry for the poor picture snapped in haste as it lay on the closet floor for safekeeping.

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:32 pm

I like it! Keeps privacy, let's light in. You realize, I hope, that any time anyone gives you a gift in the future it will probably involve stained glass? You're doomed.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:39 pm

Jut call me Mr Chiaroscuro!

I'm contemplating a stained glass mural in the family room, involving fauns, lots of wine and various nymphs and naiads. Might be hard to keep it 'G' rated though.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:50 pm

Next question - with maple cabinets and oak flooring, and neutral paint colour wherever it shows, what colour tile backsplash would work best?

I'm thinking green....

Likely dark or black granite counter tops.

Or maybe earth tones....

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:11 pm

Personally, I wouldn't go earth tones, if by that you mean shades of brown. Your cabinetry and wood floor are already earth tones. Nor would I do green: remember, you have a huge red/white/black used brick wall to live with and you don't want it to look like Christmas or Joseph's coat of many colors. Warm smokey grays or off-whites are going to be your ticket--either would provide the contrast needed to pop the cabinetry while at the same time come from the same palate that the non-red tones in the brick and dark granite does and thus bring it into the room purposefully, as compared to just being something that came with the house.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:12 pm

Think how gray, btw, would pull that sparkle out of that uba-tuba granite shown in your picture--the browns do nothing for it.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:26 pm

So would you favour paint rather than tiles for backsplash....or subway tile...or.....
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:49 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:So would you favour paint rather than tiles for backsplash....or subway tile...or.....

Backsplash where, behind the stove? Or everywhere there's counter?
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:52 pm

Jenise wrote:
Bill Spohn wrote:So would you favour paint rather than tiles for backsplash....or subway tile...or.....

Backsplash where, behind the stove? Or everywhere there's counter?

Over all counters. I was thinking about tile for behind the stove anyway though.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:09 am

I am a fan of tile. So many colors and sizes and shapes.
PreviousNext