Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Prosecco risotto

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

Prosecco risotto

by wnissen » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:12 am

I have been known to cook some wine into my risotto, but this article is about using it as a last-minute addition, almost like cheese. Pretty pictures, too.

http://palatepress.com/2015/10/wine/pro ... onegliano/

Anybody tried it?
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

Re: Prosecco risotto

by Peter May » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:16 pm

No, ony time I've added booze to food was at Burns Supper in Glasgow when the pie major showed me to s pour whisky onto the haggis to make it palatable, and more palatably I've dribbles sticky sweet dessert wine on vanilla icecream.

The name was officially changed to Glera after the 2009 DOCG update, so as not to confuse consumers

If you believe that then...
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:22 pm

Interesting!! Can't wait to try that and I'm imagining it as super fun for a dinner party--very theatrical.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:24 am

Pie major !!!

Should have been Pipe Major, e.g. the man in full regalia with the bagpipe who pipes in the wee pudding.

But Pie Major is a job just waiting to be filled!

There's a small pub not to far from us that is known for its pies, we went with a group and we pre-ordered steak and mushroom pie and it was gorgeous.

Home made short crust pastry, packed with filling so when sliced there was no gap between the top crust and filling. Ummm, yummy.
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:31 pm

Jenise wrote:Interesting!! Can't wait to try that and I'm imagining it as super fun for a dinner party--very theatrical.

Exactly, Jenise. I can just picture the scene.

The other part that was interesting, from a wine perspective, is the single-vineyard Proseccos. I've often found that the best Muscadet is better than entry-level Chablis, even if both are the same price.
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:23 pm

wnissen wrote:The other part that was interesting, from a wine perspective, is the single-vineyard Proseccos. I've often found that the best Muscadet is better than entry-level Chablis, even if both are the same price.

Has me curious, too. I've not heard of Rive; but I've had exactly one Very Good Or Better prosecco, but it wasn't in a circumstance where I could examine the bottle. It was dry and complex--not up to champagne standards, but at least something I'd buy which I can't say about any other Prosecco I've had.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:20 pm

This sounds fun and yummy. On my list. I own zero prosecco but I am sure I can find some. Thoughts on just using a favorite bubbly?

Jason
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:14 pm

Jason Hagen wrote:This sounds fun and yummy. On my list. I own zero prosecco but I am sure I can find some. Thoughts on just using a favorite bubbly?

Jason

No reason not to, I'm sure--could depend on what leftovers you want to have!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:29 pm

Bumping this wonderful ecipe out of storage, I shared it with some friends over the weekend. Thanks again, Walt.
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:43 pm

Sadly, I don't think I ever got hold of some Rive proseccos or made this dish, but I'm glad you did at least one of those things! I accidentally left my last homemade demi-glace sitting out while making gravy for Thanksgiving and had to throw it out, so I'm out of good broth even though I'm craving some risotto right now. I suppose I could make some with Better than Bouillon.
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:52 pm

wnissen wrote:Sadly, I don't think I ever got hold of some Rive proseccos or made this dish, but I'm glad you did at least one of those things! I accidentally left my last homemade demi-glace sitting out while making gravy for Thanksgiving and had to throw it out, so I'm out of good broth even though I'm craving some risotto right now. I suppose I could make some with Better than Bouillon.

For store bought stock, there's none better than Progresso's Low Sodium. It tastes very close to homemade and would pass in almost any situation. Others that are Low Sodium are also weak and dilute--I swear all they did was water the original down. Voila, low salt! But Progresso's has real depth of flavor. Better than any other I've ever tried.
no avatar
User

Greg H

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:50 pm

by Greg H » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:49 pm

I make a scallop risotto that uses prosecco both in the risotto and as a finishing touch after plating. I use finely sliced raw scallops as a garnish which gently cook on the hot plated risotto.