Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Yuzu

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

Yuzu

by Christina Georgina » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:29 pm

If you don't know it, make your acquaintance. A spectacular small Japanese citrus with an unearthly smell and taste. The Yuzu Kosho I made with last years crop and stored in the freezer is still beautiful. Using it sparingly until this year's crop available from RipeToYou Citrus from California's Central Valley [ moisture providing ]. RipeToYou has a very interesting variety of unusual citrus worth searching out.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

Re: Yuzu

by Peter May » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:19 am

Nver even heard of it.

What do you do with it?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:25 pm

OH REALLY. You have my attention. I have an ungodly good marmalade made from Yuzu fruit. And I buy yuzu juice in a bottle from Japanese stores in order to make Ponzu sauces. But I've never had the fruit 'in the flesh', so to speak. Must check out that website.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:16 pm

Jenise Stone, name that marmalade!

Well, I'm not Bob Barker but I do like citrussy marmalade. What is the brand?
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

by Christina Georgina » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:32 am

It is a small, rather knobby fruit with LOTS of seeds [ germinated a dozen and gave small plants as gifts ]. The juice is very scant and fruit fibrous. I can't imagine how many needed for any juice. The nose is ethereal. I can see why they are floated in the bath.
With my stash last year I made : seasoned salt; red and green yuzu kosho; marmelade; seasoned vodka. I didn't let anything go to waste. The kosho, marmelade, vodka and plants were most successful.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

by Christina Georgina » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:43 am

Check out the video on Buddha's Hand citron. The only citron I use for candying for breads/Pannetone etc. The commercial stuff always has a disagreeable, chemical taste to me.

http://www.ripetoyou.com/videos
Mamma Mia !