Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Another funny hosting story

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Another funny hosting story

by Jenise » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:39 pm

So last night at a Halloween party, my husband commented to the host about the bowl of pretty apples on the bar. Yes, the hostess said, "Oh my god, when ______ walked in, she handed me these and said 'Are we going to decorate apples tonight?' Which I didn't quite understand, so I was kind of stammering, and then she said, 'Well your invitation said to bring apples!' And I had to say uh well no, it said appies, short for appetizers."
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Another funny hosting story

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:44 pm

Next invitation says: bring your bifocals. :lol:

Of course, a fine seasonal response is to bob for them. You can still do that, right?
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:34 pm

Quite similar to a recent experience here. I said " Bring a big appetite" and the guest showed up with a HUGE cheese, charcuterie, platter. She owned that she scanned the email too quickly.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:13 pm

LOL, Christina. I'm sure you graciously incorporated it into your meal (but I hate it when guests show up with food I didn't expect.)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov