Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Which range?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Which range?

by Jenise » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:03 am

Larry said:
After release, I took so much iron, I started to rust and had a problem of sticking to refrigerators.

NM has labeling laws regarding Hatch chiles, but a lot of chiles are called "Hatch" whether or not they are, particularly out of state.

Larry, I love your dry sense of humor. Obviously a scary situation, so glad you're still here.

Yes it's clear that they're not all real Hatch chiles. They couldn't be. And the quality is all over the place. Our stores get 'mild' and 'hot' and the hots are generally incendiary. When I complained I was told to use less chile. DOLT! Defeats the whole purpose, I explained, one wants chile flavor not just chile heat. But I might as well be talking to a wall. I'm surprised the stores, considering the heat levels (some never got any 'milds') even bother--the local population prefers sweet and bland to spicy. I finally bought some milds in Seattle that were larger and thicker-walled than any others I'd seen that I got to test before buying--excellent green chile flavor and even if overall milder than the Big Jims I crave, every 5th or 6th one has nice heat and I can always add more heat to a dish, where I can't take excess away.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:55 am

Like Jenise said, I was all set to go with the Jennair when I took my wife to see it and she couldn't lift the grate without effort/discomfort. Turns out that very few ranges these days have 4 separate grilles and the better the range the heavier the iron that covers half the burners. I tried to convince her that all she had to do was call me whenever she dropped something through the grate but for some reason she was less than trusting.

We went with a 4 burner rather than 6 to maximize counter space and ended up with a KitchenAid that also has a 20K btu burner and a proper convection oven - Jenise told me she preferred a dual fuel with electric oven and I went that way even though I've been happy with my all gas Jennair for the last 15 years - great broiler!

Just for reference, the model we bought lists for $4649 US and $6599 Can.! (I picked up a floor model for considerably less).

I've heard good things about the Kenmores. We looked at a Monogram and considered it (without reading Robin's experience with them). Looked decent, but first hand experience trumps reviews.

We finally have all of our new appliances awaiting us in the warehouse - its like shopping for new cars - exhausting. Anyone want a working 48" Sub Zero fridge? Have I got a deal for you!
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:25 am

Bill Spohn wrote:Like Jenise said, I was all set to go with the Jennair when I took my wife to see it and she couldn't lift the grate without effort/discomfort. Turns out that very few ranges these days have 4 separate grilles and the better the range the heavier the iron that covers half the burners. I tried to convince her that all she had to do was call me whenever she dropped something through the grate but for some reason she was less than trusting.

We went with a 4 burner rather than 6 to maximize counter space and ended up with a KitchenAid that also has a 20K btu burner and a proper convection oven - Jenise told me she preferred a dual fuel with electric oven and I went that way even though I've been happy with my all gas Jennair for the last 15 years - great broiler!

Just for reference, the model we bought lists for $4649 US and $6599 Can.! (I picked up a floor model for considerably less).

I've heard good things about the Kenmores. We looked at a Monogram and considered it (without reading Robin's experience with them). Looked decent, but first hand experience trumps reviews.

We finally have all of our new appliances awaiting us in the warehouse - its like shopping for new cars - exhausting. Anyone want a working 48" Sub Zero fridge? Have I got a deal for you!

The Kenmore lists for $4200 and is on sale for $2900. The bummer is there's no floor models to look at, just a similar model that's all gas but with some differences.
Previous