Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Philly cheesesteaks

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Philly cheesesteaks

by Larry Greenly » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:23 pm

Today's paper had an article about Filling Philly's, a new restaurant featuring Philly cheesesteaks. The owner had gone to Philadelphia and researched a number of restaurants, trying to offer an authentic one here. She even imports the buns from a Philly bakery, yada, yada, yada.

Despite the obvious misspelling in her restaurant's name, I gave it a whirl by ordering a takeout that I could split with my wife. I wouldn't be able to eat there, I discovered, because of all the hard surfaces. It was so noisy I couldn't even hear the person taking my order--but I did see his lips move.

And despite the owner's predilection toward Cheez Whiz, I opted for a Classic with meat, onions, green peppers and provolone. I thought it was good, but not great. The bun seemed awfully soft (in fairness, it might have been the fault of the trip home) and at first I didn't see any cheese. That's because the slice of cheese was covered by the meat instead of vice versa.

I'll give them another in-house try, but it sure is hard to find a really good Philly, don't you think?
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: Philly cheesesteaks

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:07 pm

I've never been to Philadelphia, so I don't think I'd know a good Philly cheesesteak if I had one. That said, I've had a few over the years that I thought were good sandwiches. Beef, cheese, peppers ,onions, what's not to like?

By the way, nice to see you back on the board, Larry!
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:31 am

Mike Filigenzi wrote:I've never been to Philadelphia, so I don't think I'd know a good Philly cheesesteak if I had one. That said, I've had a few over the years that I thought were good sandwiches. Beef, cheese, peppers ,onions, what's not to like?

By the way, nice to see you back on the board, Larry!

Thank yew. But if you ever had a genuine one, it would be transcendent and others would never quite measure up.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:45 am

The only philly cheesesteak sandwich I've ever had, I made. So, I'm lacking that authentic experience! But there is a food truck called Hot Mess running around town that purportedly makes them--been meaning to catch up with them but so far haven't.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:02 pm

I've had them in Pittsburgh. Does that count as 'real' ?
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:17 am

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:I've had them in Pittsburgh. Does that count as 'real' ?

Could be. I found the roll here too soft, so I'm going to ask for it to be toasted next time.