Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Nigella`s Caesar Salad..with an egg?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Nigella`s Caesar Salad..with an egg?

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:44 am

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Re: Nigella`s Caesar Salad..with an egg?

by Bill Spohn » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:25 am

Probably channeling Rachel Ray....
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:06 pm

That's pretty funny. It dials into a great rant I read by Los Angeles' pre-eminent critic, Jonathan Gold, imploring chefs to stop putting an egg on everything. All by itself, that does not make whatever it is okay or better.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:22 pm

We see these fads - remember the Great Rosemary Garnish Era?

no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:23 pm

Jenise wrote:That's pretty funny. It dials into a great rant I read by Los Angeles' pre-eminent critic, Jonathan Gold, imploring chefs to stop putting an egg on everything. All by itself, that does not make whatever it is okay or better.

In this case, I think it's even more than that. A Caesar is supposed to have a raw egg in its dressing so she "retained" that element for her version.

But just because a plate has romaine and an egg on it that does not mean it's OK to call it a Caesar Salad.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:48 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:In this case, I think it's even more than that. A Caesar is supposed to have a raw egg in its dressing so she "retained" that element for her version.

Yeah, I got that. But even a fan of deconstructionist techniques like me can't approve of that salad. That's not what the egg in the dressing is there for.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:50 pm

Bill, the rosemary. Still pops up every now and then, usually in the kind of well-meaning mom and pop place where news of culinary advances are on about a 50-year cycle.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:31 am

Caesar salad must be one of the most frequently abased dishes (along with carbonara, hmm there could be a thread in dish abuse). Jenise you are so right about the egg; how often there is a hard boiled egg in there for example, but it should be raw, in the dressing for that creamy lusciousness and do not, ever, omit the anchovy.
It is a dish I NEVER order.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:49 pm

Barb Downunder wrote:It is a dish I NEVER order.

Because it's usually so bad? Ditto. And I have an even worse problem: I grew with a father whose first Caesar salad was made for him tableside by the originator, Caesar Cardini himself, and we dined frequently at a restaurant that made a perfect Caesar salad correctly--at tableside. The place was called the Dal Rae and we never ever dined there without ordering the Caesar and without us kids rolling our eyes through yet another telling of the The Story of The Caesar from dear old dad. But, much as it pained us at the time, it all the same doomed us from ever enjoying an incorrectly made Caesar in adulthood.

By the way, I live in an area that has exactly one tableside Caesar service--no egg, and they add sour cream. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:20 pm

Mainly because it is usually bad! And I get seriously annoyed by restaurants that play fast and loose with classic dishes . By all means play a riff on the theme but acknowledge that it is so.
So your dad got the real deal, wow.
I can!t remember ever having had or seen a Caeser made table side except if I do it myself. One of the original bits of restaurant theatre.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:10 pm

The thing with tableside is, it's fresh and made from perfect ingredients--or should be. Any Caesar that comes from a restaurant kitchen is going to have been tossed with a bottled or doctored+bottle dressing, and most likely it will be soggy.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:35 pm

This topic reminds me of an Italian restaurant my parents used to favor, Sal Anthony's. They did a tableside Caesar and I remember they began by cutting a garlic clove and wiping the big bowl with it....