Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Getting to the meat of it

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Getting to the meat of it

by Jenise » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:42 pm

Today I bought four packages of chicken wings, drummettes and forearm sections only, no wing tips, which I trimmed with scissors of excess skin. That is, I don't remove the skin, but there are several thick of skin or fat on both segments that are worth removing IMO. For yucks I weighed everything:

Total weight of packages purchased: 5.1 pounds
Weight of packaging: 10.5 ounces
Weight of thick skin parts I cut away: 6.8 ounces
Actual weight of edible chicken I'm going to cook tomorrow: 3.93 lbs

Was pretty disappointed but not surprised by the weight of the packaging. That's close to 3 ounces out of every 20 ounce package. Was impressed, however, at how much unnecessary fat I trimmed away, though--I thought it would be significant, and it was.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

Re: Getting to the meat of it

by Frank Deis » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:23 pm

I've been buying boneless skinless thighs. I enjoy knife work and in the past I have bought whole thighs cleaned them up myself, but as you say, you end up with SUCH a pile of waste that I have decided it's both easier and more cost-efficient to let them do the work.

My niece and her husband went to Cornell and took the "hospitality" track so they had wine tasting classes and they know quite a bit about food prep. We had a talk about making stock etc. over the holiday, and I was reminiscing about boning out whole chickens to make galantine, ballotine, and Tuscan versions of those. Have not done that for a long while, you have to really care about presentation because that's the point, you bring out something that looks like a pumpkin but when you carve it, it's a stuffed chicken! Anyway when I was making my own stock regularly I was using a recipe involving turkey wings that I got from The Splendid Table, and what made it worth while was that I was sharing the stock with neighbors who had a free standing freezer. They moved away and now if I made 10 quarts of stock I wouldn't have anywhere to put it. Sean, the husband, says he saves chicken scraps and makes stock when he has enough. Of course some recipes start with a whole bird, and the classic Chinese version of "double" stock has you make stock from a whole bird, and then use THAT stock as the "water" to make stock with a second bird! Plus of course I've made a Keller recipe where you make stock and add in a pound of chicken feet just for the luxurious texture that results.

Anyway these days I generally just open a can. Perhaps a bad habit but it sure is convenient and the results are not THAT obviously inferior for most uses.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: Getting to the meat of it

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:38 am

Interesting idea regarding the addition of chicken feet to stock. They're not expensive and if they add a nice element then it sounds well worth it.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child