Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Leftover roast beef???

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Leftover roast beef???

by Howie Hart » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:35 pm

I held my annual holiday party for family and friends last night. I was expecting 30-35 people but only about half that many showed up. I have lots of leftovers - pizza, wings, shrimp and about 8 lbs. of sliced deli-roast beef and au jus that I bought for making Beef On Weck. Aside from eating lots of roast beef sandwiches, does anyone have suggestions or recipes?
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Leftover roast beef???

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:52 pm

Creamed beef on toast? (...I'll show myself out...)
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

by Fred Sipe » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:05 pm

Grind some. Add whatever you like. Meatballs.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:36 pm

Shred on dark salad greens like romaine and arugula, top with vinaigrette and blue cheese or parmesan.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:00 pm

Channelling Jenise, Italian riff: tagliata, strips of beef on a bed of arugula, dressed with lemon juice, capers and shaved Parm.
Russian: riff on stroganoff: throw strips of beef at the last minute into a classic stroganoff sauce made with shallots,mushrooms, mustard, cognac, sourcream.
Asian riff: stir fry veg and starch of choice, sauce of choice and add strips of beef at the last minute. Or mince for fried rice.
Mexican fajita riff: grill onions, peppers sauce with a roasted poblano salsa in tortilla
Appetizer riff: blue cheese/creamcheese/sour cream thinly spread on the slices, rolled into rosettes on an endive boat
Appetizer riff: horseradish, sour cream spread on slices, rolled, chilled, sliced on buttered bread garnished with caviar

I really love thinking about how to use leftovers.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:37 am

Those are some excellent suggestions! :) Meatballs, Strogonoff, Salad topper, Fajitas! Along the meatball theme, I could use bread crumbs made from the leftover Kummelweck rolls (the rolls are topped with coarse salt and caraway seeds and I could add horseradish.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:56 pm

Howie Hart wrote:Those are some excellent suggestions! :) Meatballs, Strogonoff, Salad topper, Fajitas! Along the meatball theme, I could use bread crumbs made from the leftover Kummelweck rolls (the rolls are topped with coarse salt and caraway seeds and I could add horseradish.

An alternative to salad topper, line a slice or two of the meat with a slice of pliable cheese, like provolone, and roll up around a sliver of pickled cucumber or asparagus for nibbling with a bit of your homemade sparkler.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:18 am

Philly Cheese Steak
Mamma Mia !