Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

"Wrinkles for the cook"

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

"Wrinkles for the cook"

by Barb Downunder » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:02 am

A rather nice term from MFK Fisher to describe simple remedies and little things to make things easy.
I thought a thread on little, but neat kitchen tips might be fun.
I'll start off with what I am doing right now for tonight's pizza.

For nice even slices of fresh mozzarella I use an egg slicer. They are the perfect thickness.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: "Wrinkles for the cook"

by Howie Hart » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:11 am

I use an egg slicer on fresh mushrooms to put on pizza.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:14 pm

I don't have an egg slicer, but it sounds like a great tip.

Strangely, offhand I can think of nothing I do that's unusual or that most people couldn't do--like smashing a garlic clove flat-ish so that the peel doesn't fit and comes off with a flick. It's something that most people already do--or they're afraid of knife blades and can't be talked into it. Or they have a device like one of those flexible rubber tubes that they love, even though it takes much longer.

Actually, one of my favorite things I picked up from Robin decades ago. I used to freeze little blobs of tomato paste, about 1 tblsp pieces, on a cookie sheet then bag them up. Robin mentioned that he just puts the tomato paste in a sandwich baggie and freezes that, breaking off what he needs as he goes. BINGO. Great timesaver, and even more practical. Only way I've done it ever since!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:20 pm

Jenise wrote: BINGO. Great timesaver, and even more practical. Only way I've done it ever since!

Awww! :oops: I still do, of course.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:43 am

Jenise wrote: Robin mentioned that he just puts the tomato paste in a sandwich baggie and freezes that, breaking off what he needs as he goes.

Wow!!

That's so useful! Lost count of number oftimes recipe has needed a small amount of concentrated tomato paste and you always haveto buy a larger portion which is then wasted. [/quote]

*****OH NO--Jenise talking here. I accidentally used the edit button instead of the quote button and wrote over Peter's description of how in doing a steamed vegetable and boiled potato dinner, he used to use two separate pans but now cooks the potatoes in the steaming water. Same result, less pans. I'm so sorry Peter!*****
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:50 am

I'll post one that Mary taught me and that I've been doing as long as we've been together. I've mentioned it occasionally on this and other food forums, and everyone looks at me as if I have a third eye, right in the middle of my forehead.

It's this: Make rice in a double boiler! For standard long-grain, one part rice, 1 1/2 parts water. A little salt and, if you like, a bit of butter. Put over a light boil for 20 minutes, and it's done. But here's the best part: If dinner isn't ready, leave it on a low simmer and it won't over-cook for any reasonable length of time. It never sticks, it always comes out well, and it's a whale of a lot cheaper than a rice cooker. :)
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:27 am

If you like to keep fat, freezing is a way to prolong the life.

I gasped when I saw a friend searing foie gras and then pour out the excess fat (50% of foie gras turns into liquid fat when seared). I collect it and freeze it and pull out a bit (it is easy to break apart if you freeze it in small amounts in a round container so you can store a stack of frozen discs).

Want a nice garnish? Fry a potato sliver in duck fat. Or for comfort food, a single egg fried in duck fat on a piece of toast - it doesn't get much simpler or tastier.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:23 pm

Yup, Peter. Scoop it into the middle of the bag, then smoosh with the palm of your hand into a patty shape about 1/2 inch thick and put that in a flat area of the freezer to set up. Once it's frozen you can just pile it on one of those little shelves on the door for bitty stuff.

Clever work boiling the potatoes in the steaming water. Good use for a double-boiler type pan (which I don't have).
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:47 am

Howie I can't believe I didn't think to do that with mushrooms as well, love mushies in pizza.
Talk of freezing ( tomato paste, duck fat excellent ideas) I discovered that cheeses actually freeze well. This came as a revelation and a big surprise. It came about because my dear partner came home one day with some great bargains! A 12inch wheel of King Island Brie and a beautiful kilo block of King Island blue, both great cheeses both close to best by date (I use my own judge ment on that and know that there was plenty of leeway but still so much more than we could use). So we/I portioned it and chucked the excess in the freezer on the premise I had nothing to lose. Much to my delight when I defrosted some it was great, put it on a cheeseboard no noticeable difference in taste or texture.
Which has also led me to squirrel away oddments and ends of cheeses in the freezer for my mongrel mac'n'cheese.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:14 am

Bill Spohn wrote:I gasped when I saw a friend searing foie gras and then pour out the excess fat (50% of foie gras turns into liquid fat when seared). I collect it and freeze it and pull out a bit (it is easy to break apart if you freeze it in small amounts in a round container so you can store a stack of frozen discs).

Reminds me of the Foie Fools events you used to do. Was always fun to hear about, but I don't believe I've heard about one since Bruce passed away. Is that over?
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:22 am

Another one in the "freeze it so it won't go bad" category: A lot of the stir-fry cooking that I do calls for small amounts of chicken stock. I don't have a stock pot, so I'm often left with the better part of a container of store-bought stock. I pour it into an ice cube tray, freeze it overnight, then put the stock cubes in a freezer bag. It provides a convenient way to get that couple of tablespoons of stock the recipe calls for. The same technique works for coconut milk and even homemade Thai curry pastes.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:44 pm

On the rare occasion when I buy one of the deli roasted chickens I always throw the carcass into an 8 qt pot, add enough water to cover and the trimmings from any aromatics on hand and simmer for about 30 mins. Those chickens are brined before they are cooked so they make a really flavorful stock that I freeze for various uses or use immediately for a quick soup. Makes me feel like I've gotten my money,s worth out of the old bird!
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:25 am

Jenise wrote:Reminds me of the Foie Fools events you used to do. Was always fun to hear about, but I don't believe I've heard about one since Bruce passed away. Is that over?

I plan on doing one when I get moved - later this summer - may do the searing on the BBQ outside unless I figure out how to disable the fire alarm.

Part of the delay is in getting doctor's certificates as we get older, saying we have a chance of surviving an FG fest.... :twisted:

Part, I'm sure, is the fact that having tried FG in a myriad ways, I (and others) have decided that it really doesn't get a lot better than just searing it, salting it and putting it on something like a toasted brioche slice. Repeat treatment as needed.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:34 pm

Bill Spohn wrote: I (and others) have decided that it really doesn't get a lot better than just searing it, salting it and putting it on something like a toasted brioche slice. Repeat treatment as needed.

BINGO. This could be a thread starter.