Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

When black pepper is hot

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

When black pepper is hot

by Jenise » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:56 pm

These days I love black pepper and use it fairly liberally. I go through half a pound of Penzey's Tellicherry every six months.

But it wasn't always like that for me. For years about the only way I used it was on corn on the cob. And I liked so much pepper, it was hot. It bit back. In my years of buying Tellicherry from Penzey's, however, the heat went away. I've wondered every now and then if I built up a tolerance, or if the heat in fact wasn't there. Recently, I ran out of pepper and coincidentally saw Tellicherry in containers at Costco, so I bought some.

Last week I made a bean soup and Bob asked what kind of chiles I had put in it. None. Then a few days ago I put a nose dose of pepper in something else, and it had the hot kick, too. So it's the Costco tellicherry pepper that's hot.

So I called Penzey's today and asked if I could talk to a pepper buyer about what made black pepper hot, telling my story above to illustrate my desire to know. I asked if it was the growing climate. Is pepper from X hotter than pepper from India, for instance, or does a hotter vintage year produce sweeter or hotter peppercorns? The first answer was, "Maybe you're putting more in than you used to." To that I had to hold back something snide along the lines of, "If that were the case, would I have called you?", and just asked what their second choice was. It's probably old, said my new phone pal, "Pepper gets hotter as it ages."

Not sure if I buy that or not, especially since I didn't get an authoritative first answer. I did a little internet searching and didn't come up with anything that addresses 'heat' beyond variety. What I want to know comes WITHIN varietal borders..

Anyone else have a clue?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: When black pepper is hot

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:57 pm

Jenise wrote: It's probably old, said my new phone pal, "Pepper gets hotter as it ages."

I don't believe that at all.

Pepper gets hotter if you leave it on the vine longer -- the more mature the berry, the more volatile oils are in it.

But sitting in a jar on a shelf at Costco? Nope, can't be true.

I have done some 'net searching now, too. Most conversations about Costco Tellicherry are of the "ooh, look!" nature so not helpful. I found one disdainful spice buyer who said they are selling it cheaper than he gets it through channels so he suspects it isn't really Tellicherry or it's a low grade.

You could try sending the question to Lior Lev Sercarz at La Boite a Epice http://laboiteny.com/contact/ -- he is the go-to spice guy for Boulud, Ripert, etc.
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:26 am

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:
You could try sending the question to Lior Lev Sercarz at La Boite a Epice http://laboiteny.com/contact/ -- he is the go-to spice guy for Boulud, Ripert, etc.

Ooh, ooh! I recently sent a pile of money to Lior so that I could cook EVERYTHING in the Zahav cookbook. Very interesting stuff.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:09 pm

Jeff, I emailed Lior yesterday--thanks for the link. I await a reply.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:07 pm

I have a reply from Christian at the NY City spice purveyor Jeff provided a link for. Here it is:

First off thanks for your patience! I ran this by Lior and did some research. By hot do you mean very peppery? Or hot like a chile is?

If its the latter, the pepper could have come into contact with chiles.

If it's the former, then all the conditions you mentioned apply to a degree:
- Climate condition and growing area are responsible for variation (think how peppers grown in hot climates tend to have more capsaicin).

- And length of time since picking can have some effect, the principal compound responsible for the heat is piperine, which is light sensitive and can degrade to isochavicine, which is relatively flavorless, though this happens very slowly until the pepper is ground.

- Additionally, the cultivar makes a big difference, each variety has varying levels of piperine , as well as volatile oils that are responsible for the woodsy, citrus, etc. flavors. Tellicherry is a region, but not all the pepper vines grown there are the same.

Hope this helps!

The most revealing detail is probably the last--that Tellicherry is a region of different pepper vines. So god knows what is in the jar I bought from Costco. (If my memory is accurate re something so small, I'd bet that my Costco pepper is actually a slightly smaller diameter than the Tellicherry I've purchased from Penzey's.)

Btw, I'm surprised to see them called vines. I grew up around a lot of natural, wild-growing pepper--always trees, definitely trees. And large ones, too.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:11 pm

Product variation, to the rescue.
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:33 am

http://chickensintheroad.com/farm-bell- ... -of-spice/

From the URL above

True pepper (piper nigrum) grows on perennial evergreen vines which may reach a height of thirty-five feet. Farmers coax new plants from cuttings. Plants begin producing berries in two to five years and may live as long as forty years. In southern India, tea and pepper plants are often grown together; the pepper vines grow on supports and loom above delicate tea plants.

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:57 pm

Frank, that picture helps a lot. Definitely nothing like the pepper trees I grew up around in California!
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:46 am

Jenise perhaps you grew up with what I know as the peppercorn tree, certainly can grow very large.
These are the source of pink peppercorns but are not the true pepper.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:09 pm

I think I have a picture somewhere. They may not produce the type of pepper considered table peppers, but pepper they are. Wouldnt' be surprised if they're the same--we got all our Eucalyptus from you guys, maybe the pepper too!
no avatar
User

Mark Willstatter

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:20 pm

Puget Sound

by Mark Willstatter » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:29 pm

I thought I could shed some light on the "pepper trees" of California. The most common species, in California called "California pepper tree", is Schinus molle. It does very well in arid parts of California but is actually native to the desert-y parts of Peru. They're tough trees that can get by with very little in the way of rainfall, so it wouldn't surprise me if they do well in Australia, too. As Barb says, they are the source of "pink peppercorns". They have nothing to do with true pepper but are in the same family as cashews.

There's also a similar species from Brazil that's also planted in California, going by "Brazilian pepper tree" there.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:45 am

Cashews?????

Now that's WEIRD. But thanks for the information. They're lovely, willow-y trees, and warmly remind me of my childhood.