Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

January IOTM: Onions

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Alan Wolfe

Rank

On Time Out status

Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:34 am

West Virginia

Re: January IOTM: Onions

by Alan Wolfe » Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:29 pm

Funny you should bring the subject up. I have a leek and potato soup working in the slow cooker at this very moment. I'm using the standard recipe, leek/potato/chicken broth, nothing special, except that I will probably add some diced ham after processing the lumpy soup. Good idea.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:10 pm

Albino,

Great looking basket. I don't think I've ever seen anything like that old species of onion you mention. Do you grow your own?

And the confit! That sounds like a fabulous combination of salty-sour-sweet. How would that go with seared foie gras?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

tsunami

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:59 am

by tsunami » Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:20 pm

dear jenise,

i don´t have that green finger :? they are grown by a guy who has a vegi-shop in mulhouse alcace :wink:

the confit would go ok with seared foie, but there i like semi-dryed apricots, cooked with sugar, vinegar, mustard and a hint wasabi.
that´s my have-to-have at the moment with the foie 8)
Tsunami alias Albino
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:51 am

tsunami wrote:the confit would go ok with seared foie, but there i like semi-dryed apricots, cooked with sugar, vinegar, mustard and a hint wasabi. that´s my have-to-have at the moment with the foie 8)

You had me at "apricot". No fruit do I love more. Sounds like a great combination, especially if we're pouring Sauternes or similar with the dish. Great match.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:41 pm

Onions are IOTM and no one has posted a recipe for French Onion Soup? Is that coz there are a limited number of ways to prepare it?
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:30 pm

Mike, I would guess that Onion soup (the gratinee version) is just so ubiquitous that everyone assumes everyone else has a recipe they like. If someone tried a new version and thought that worth bringing to everyone's attention, that would be excellent, but so far it hasn't happened. Why, are you in the market for a French Onion soup recipe?
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:58 pm

Jenise wrote:Mike, I would guess that Onion soup (the gratinee version) is just so ubiquitous that everyone assumes everyone else has a recipe they like. If someone tried a new version and thought that worth bringing to everyone's attention, that would be excellent, but so far it hasn't happened. Why, are you in the market for a French Onion soup recipe?

Wow, you are a mind-reader! How do you do in Las Vegas? :lol:

Actually, I have been looking for a recipe. Most seem pretty similar: caramelize onions in butter, add beef stock/broth, cook longer. Meanwhile, dry out or toast sliced French bread. Put soup in casserole or individual bowls, top with toasted bread, shred gruyere/parmesan/raclette over top and broil for a while.

I did see a post from you where you sweated the onions for 4 hours. I don't think that one is in the cards.
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:08 am

Jenise wrote:Mike, I would guess that Onion soup (the gratinee version) is just so ubiquitous that everyone assumes everyone else has a recipe they like. If someone tried a new version and thought that worth bringing to everyone's attention, that would be excellent, but so far it hasn't happened. Why, are you in the market for a French Onion soup recipe?

Well, we ended up kinda faking it. Discovered about 5 or 6 recipes, all very similar. So we used those as a guide and started cooking! Took 3 onions, one sweet, one white, and one red, and sliced very thin. In a small stock pot, sauteed the onions in about 4 Tbsp of butter until they were limp and translucent. Covered the pot and cooked the onions for 15 minutes on low heat. Added 1-1/2 Tbsp of flour, stirred into the onions. Added 3 cups of beef stock (made from Christmas dinner bones) and boiled, then simmered for 25 minutes. Meanwhile, sliced a baguette; put slices on a cookie sheet and heated at 325 for 15 minutes. Ladled soup into bowls, put baguette slices on top, then shredded gruyere over the bread. Broiled for about 90 seconds or less.

The final product had a rich broth, sweet onion flavor, and was not overly salty, in fact wasn't salty at all. Loved it!
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:14 pm

So what's our February IOTM?

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

February IOTM

by Robin Garr » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:03 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:So what's our February IOTM?

It's going to be into next week before Jenise can make the formal announcement, but for those who want to go ahead and start, barring any last minute change of plans it's going to be <b>fennel</b>, which to my mind includes the bulb (<i>finocchio</i>) and the seeds and the trendy wild fennel pollen, and could probably be casually extended to cover the range of fennel/anise/licorice flavors in cookery, from Italian sausage to anise cookies to sauces laced with Pernod.

I'm speaking out of school here, though, and if Dishwasher Jenise wants to demur from anything I've said, her decision rules. :)
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

Cippolines

by RichardAtkinson » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:19 pm

Everyone has a recipe for herb roasted potatoes.

But try blanching some cippolines for a couple of minutes in boiling water. Trim both ends, a squeeze a perfect minature cip right out of the skin. Add to the bowl containing your potatoes, the add your herb mix, salt, pepper and EVOO.

Roast them as normal.

Fantastic match with a good steak and a Cab Sauvignon. .

Richard
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: February IOTM

by Paul Winalski » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:30 pm

To repeat:

I'm writing this on 9 February 2007. I have yet to see any official announcement of the February IOTM.

If I missed it, my profundest crepologies.

-Paul W.
Previous