Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Trader Joe's Cheese Win!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Trader Joe's Cheese Win!

by Brian K Miller » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:52 pm

I am totally in love with the DELICES DE BOURGOGNE cheese from Trader Joe's. It's an oozy, gooey, triple crème that provides so much pleasure for a reasonable price ($12.29/lb). I used slathers of it on a baked potato with cottage cheese for my lunch today, and I was in HEAVEN!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: Trader Joe's Cheese Win!

by Carl Eppig » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:05 pm

Will have to try it, sounds delicious.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:58 pm

Trader Joe's overall cheese selection seems to have improved over the years, but sadly in our market we still don't see much that's what you'd call 'challenging' or even especially interesting. For us, much better the Murray's cheese selection in the Kroger-affiliated Fred Meyer stores.

But I like the sound of that potato!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:01 pm

We have a Sac Valley chain (Nugget Markets) that has a great cheese selection....for a price. :twisted:

Then, there are the boutique shops. Like the Ferry Plaza and the Cheese Board and Oxbow Cheese Market. But again, that pricing can be painful. :)
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:43 pm

Have you checked out the cheese selection at the Sacramento Food Co-op, Brian? Theirs is more interesting than Taylor's, Corti's, or the Nugget, in my opinion. Pricey, but they have some very interesting stuff.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:18 pm

I should, Mike.

At one point in my life, I had actually paid for a membership there, but kind of lost track of them. I remember a very interesting hippie prepared foods bar!

I don't really like Corti's cheeses, to be honest (wine...and chocolate a different story!) A lot of plastic wrapped, hard mozzarellish things at not very good prices!
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:14 pm

We love the cheeses from Trader Joe's. Wife can't handle dairy products from cows, so their great selection of sheep and goat cheeses is right up our ally.