Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Tortilla Española

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

RCP: Tortilla Española

by Robin Garr » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:38 pm

We got a crave for a Tortilla Española today after finding that our favorite Argentine-accented coffee shop had run out, so came home and fashioned one from an old Victor de la Serna recipe for dinner. Tasted great, although it wasn't as thick as the traditional model because I cut the recipe by one-fourth but didn't use a smaller pan. A minor quibble. Pictures of the frying potatoes and the finished tortilla follow; my recipe, only slightly evolved from Victor's, below them.

tortilla-potatoes.jpg

Tortilla-espanola.jpg

Tortilla Española

INGREDIENTS: (Serves two)
3 small baking potatoes or 6 small new potatoes
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 sweet yellow or white onion
2 cloves garlic
4 eggs
Water
Salt
Black pepper

PROCEDURE:
1. Peel the potatoes, halve or quarter them if they're large, and slice them thin, 1/8-inch or less.

2. Chop the onion fine and mince the garlic. Break the eggs into a bowl, add 4 tablespoons water, and mix with a fork, adding salt and pepper to taste.

3. Put the oils in a skillet or sautee pan over medium heat. When they're hot enough that a piece of potato dropped in instantly sizzles, put in all the potatoes, stir to separate, and fry them gently. You don't want them brown and crunchy, so watch the heat and try to keep them sizzling without browning. It should take about 8 to 12 minutes to cook them through. Lift out the potatoes and let them drain on paper towels.

4. Using just a bit of the oil, cook the onions and garlic over medium-low heat. Let them cool a bit. Then stir the potatoes, onions and garlic into the eggs. Try to avoid breaking up the potatoes, but don't be obsessive about it; it doesn't matter if a few break or mash.

5. Put the omelet pan back over medium-high heat with a little more of the oil , and pour the egg and potato mix in all at once, spreading it gently with the back of a wooden spoon. Leave on a medium-high flame for a minute or so until the bottom sets; then reduce heat to medium low and let it cook, uncovered, for 8 to 10 minutes, by which time you should notice that the eggs have pretty much cooked through, although they may still be soft at the center. Jiggle the pan, coaxing the tortilla gently with a spatula if necessary, to make sure it will slide free.

6. Now, taking care not to burn yourself, put a large plate over the top of the pan and, holding pan and plate together firmly, flip the pan over so the tortilla will fall onto the plate, cooked side up. Put the pan back on the fire and slide the inverted tortilla back into the pan to cook on the other side for another 5 minutes or so. (If it becomes a little malformed in the flipping process, don't worry, just nudge it gently back into a neat circle.)

7. Slide the tortilla onto a large serving plate and cut it into wedges.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: RCP: Tortilla Española

by Jenise » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:08 pm

I love a great tortilla espanola! Among other things, because it's so good at room temp, it travels well and because it's so moderate in ingredients, it goes well with just about every wine in the world. It's a superb thing to take to wine tastings.

However, not to be critical, but that's a lot of fat and it would scare some people away. It's worth noting that you can successfully saute the potatoes with half that. But it will take a bit longer--Victor's method will get you there faster.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:21 pm

Jenise wrote:However, not to be critical, but that's a lot of fat and it would scare some people away. It's worth noting that you can successfully saute the potatoes with half that. But it will take a bit longer--Victor's method will get you there faster.

I thought about that, but in this case - in homage to Victor, I'm sure :mrgreen: - it seems to me that having the potatoes swimming in a gentle bath of simmering oil makes a difference. It would really be best to use all olive oil, I think.

And here's a factoid: After I lifted the potatoes out of the oil to drain, I used only a little of the remainder to saute the onions and garlic and make the tortilla. I'd say two-thirds of the oil ended up in a cup at the end. Probably the amount that actdually went on the plate is no more than you'd have gotten with the alternate technique, but this way makes the taters luscious ...
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:26 pm

Does sound like a tasty way to do this, even if there's a little extra fat involved.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:38 am

Robin Garr wrote: Probably the amount that actdually went on the plate is no more than you'd have gotten with the alternate technique, but this way makes the taters luscious ...

Of course, if that's the end result then no reason not to! That would be pretty impressive with a porous Russet-type potato, which I can tell from the picture you used.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:45 am

Jenise wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:Of course, if that's the end result then no reason not to! That would be pretty impressive with a porous Russet-type potato, which I can tell from the picture you used.

Please don't think I'm arguing. :oops: Tortillas really need waxy "boiling" potatoes, though. because they're less likely to fall apart; and that's what this is. :)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:08 am

I usually use yellow potatoes. Kind of a sweet spot between waxy and not.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:09 pm

Jenise wrote:I usually use yellow potatoes. Kind of a sweet spot between waxy and not.

Funny you say "sweet spot." Mary HATES Yukon Golds (specifically) and other yellow potatoes, because she doesn't like sweet flavors in savory dishes. I don't feel strongly either way, but this is a SWMBO situation. :mrgreen: