Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

The Office Cookbook

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

The Office Cookbook

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu May 12, 2016 12:02 am

As I've mentioned here before, my wife is an ardent collector of cookbooks. She is generally up on new ones and is constantly ordering them but she also enjoys picking up old ones from garage sales and antique stores. She recently brought one home called The Office Cookbook. This one was written by Jody Cameron Malis, the Vice-President of Celebrity Kitchens, Inc. She was apparently an experienced writer as the back cover lists her as the author of The Supermarket Cookbook series and The Newlywed Game Cookbook (and oh what I'd give to find a copy of that).

The Office Cookbook was published in 1971 and its premise is that working girls could beat the high cost of eating lunch out by "cooking" at the office. There's information provided on budgeting, necessary equipment (don't forget your can opener!), and sources of heat. Interestingly, although the latter includes small "gas-heat devices" made for outdoor use, there's no warning regarding carbon monoxide emissions. Perhaps this is intentional; a sudden loss of co-workers just might get you that promotion you so richly deserve.

The real treasures, however, are the recipes. They are definitely stripped down for primitive office use. For instance, there's "Creole Franks, written as follows:

1 can spaghetti sauce
2 frankfurters, pre-cooked
2 frankfurter buns
1 teaspoon onion flakes

In a saucepan, heat the spaghetti sauce and franks 5 minutes. Add onion flakes. Place franks in buns and spoon sauce over all. (May also be served over rice or noodles.) Serves 2.

I guess it's the onion flakes that make it "Creole" rather than "Italian" franks.

Here's the recipe for "Chili con Carne" -

1 8-1/2 oz can Chili con Carne
1 7-oz. can whole kernel corn

Place ingredients in foil. Close foil tightly and place in a skillet. Cover and heat 10 minutes. Serve over bread or with crackers. Serves 2.

You get the picture. Few of the recipes have more than three ingredients and many of these ingredients are canned. Many of them appear to be almost-duplicates of the cooking instruction on the labels of the cans. Complete menus are also included for particular occasions. The best of these is the "I'm Out to Trap the Office Bachelor" menu, in which it is promised that "With a menu like this, I know I'll pass the taste test - that puts me on first base with him!" It includes onion soup, Spanish rice (made by adding a can of boned chicken, a little parmesan, and some olive slices to a can of Spanish rice), rye bread, apple rings with cinnamon, and "beverage". (This has me wondering, what wine goes best with canned Spanish rice-based seduction?) Actually, she even provides beverage recipes. There's one called Creamy Root Beer Drink which involves adding root beer mix (where do you get root beer mix?) to water and then adding a tablespoon of canned vanilla pudding. That would certainly top off a memorable lunch for the Office Bachelor!

Really, calling this a "cookbook" is a bit of a stretch. Still, it's a hoot to read and I can only imagine what The Newlywed Game Cookbook would be like!
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: The Office Cookbook

by Jenise » Thu May 12, 2016 6:34 am

That's hilarious! Straight out of Mad Men. Re the wine choice, I think a boxed cabernet would go best. After all, it stays fresh for weeks and can be safely stowed in a filing cabinet between bachelors. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu May 12, 2016 9:39 am

Jenise wrote:That's hilarious! Straight out of Mad Men. Re the wine choice, I think a boxed cabernet would go best. After all, it stays fresh for weeks and can be safely stowed in a filing cabinet between bachelors. :)

Jenise! Unlikely that B and W are in the same drawer. :wink:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu May 12, 2016 10:49 am

My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri May 13, 2016 12:32 am

Hmm. There's no picture of it, but they only want $5. Have to think about it a little but that's very tempting!

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat May 14, 2016 1:19 am

Ok. It's on the way.

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat May 14, 2016 2:49 am

:). Yeah, no picture, but 1971 publishing date. Sounds right.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun May 15, 2016 2:04 pm

Oh my!

Memories of Best of Bridge, never having cauliflower except sunk under a sea of starchy cheese sauce, and cooking 'tricks' like dressing up canned green beans by dumping a tin of Durkee french fried onions on top of them.....

no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun May 15, 2016 2:13 pm

Covered dish dinner in the temple basement.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Mon May 16, 2016 3:01 am

Mike, I don' know if your wife likes ebooks but there are some old and interesting freebies at
Http://manybooks.net
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue May 17, 2016 10:02 am

Bill Spohn wrote:Oh my!

Memories of Best of Bridge, never having cauliflower except sunk under a sea of starchy cheese sauce, and cooking 'tricks' like dressing up canned green beans by dumping a tin of Durkee french fried onions on top of them.....

This is actually not originally a Durkee recipe--it came from the Campbell's Soup test kitchen and it is an accompaniament to Thanksgiving dinner all around this country. Every November every supermarket in the nation sets up an end-cap display of canned fried onions, Campbells Cream of Mushroom Soup and canned green beans. (A cheffy version of the dish made with fresh green beans, shitake mushrooms and various fresh ingredients is actually quite delicious.)
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed May 18, 2016 10:41 pm

Barb Downunder wrote:Mike, I don' know if your wife likes ebooks but there are some old and interesting freebies at
Http://manybooks.net

Thanks, Barb! that's a fun site.

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:58 pm

My wife noticed that we have a couple of cans of pink salmon and got to reminiscing about what would be done with that in Vermont (in 1950-1970). Her aunt (and maybe her mother) would stir it into lemon jello, etc. I got a little scared and asked if I should buy her a box of Jello, but she says she wants to make a mousse from a recipe she got from my mother. At least that should be edible!!! But we haven't located the recipe yet...
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:02 pm

Ooh, I kinda like the idea... lemon jello might be a lot like aspic, eh?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:38 am

Frank Deis wrote:My wife noticed that we have a couple of cans of pink salmon and got to reminiscing about what would be done with that in Vermont (in 1950-1970). Her aunt (and maybe her mother) would stir it into lemon jello, etc. I got a little scared

A neighbor's wife used to make something like that, it also had tomato juice in it. She'd put it in these little donut shaped molds and turn it out on a soft lettuce leaf. So 50's!
no avatar
User

Matilda L

Rank

Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:48 am

Adelaide, South Australia

by Matilda L » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:19 am

Back in the days of my youth, a regular family Christmas buffet offering from one of the Aunts was a moulded salad with cooked green peas set into lemon jelly with chopped-up mint leaves stirred through. I don't miss it. Oddly, she never seemed to make it at any other time of the year.

I guess this is getting a little off-topic, but another thing I recall from fifty years ago is mock-chicken sandwiches. My mother and other Ladies of the Parish would make this sandwich filling for catered events like club afternoon teas, or even wedding receptions. I remind myself that in those days, poultry was expensive, and everyone used to pretend that they thought mock-chicken tasted like the real thing.

It went a bit like this:
1 small onion, chopped up finely or minced
1-2 large tomatoes, chopped up
Half a teaspoon or thereabouts of dried mixed herbs
1/4 pound of Kraft cheddar cheese (a bland, soft, rubberoid processed cheese that everyone had in their pantry in those days)
A blob of butter
1 egg
Salt and pepper

You fry up the onion in the butter till it starts to go transparent, then add in the tomato, then the grated cheese. When the cheese is all melted in, which doesn't take all that long, tip in the beaten egg and cook for another minute or so - long enough to go custardy, but not long enough for the egg to cook into tough lumps. Take it off the stove, add the seasonings, and let it cool down. The resulting concoction is then spread between white bread slices and cut into triangular quarters. If you're being really smart, cut off the crusts.

"You can't tell the difference." (Oh, yes, you can. But I'd like to try it again sometime; I thought it was delicious when I was a kid.)
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:02 am

Matilda, it's months away from Halloween and yet here you are trying to frighten me. :shock:
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:47 pm

Ah Matilda, those were the days LOL nice to see you around here again BTW
Funny about things people only make at Christmas, my mum makes a Moulded salad of Beetroot in port wine jelly.. Jeff, are you even more afraid?
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:31 pm

Barb Downunder wrote:Ah Matilda, those were the days LOL nice to see you around here again BTW
Funny about things people only make at Christmas, my mum makes a Moulded salad of Beetroot in port wine jelly.. Jeff, are you even more afraid?

Only if you tell me it's supposed to be mock-venison. :wink: