Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Food Fraud

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Food Fraud

by Bill Spohn » Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:57 pm

http://nypost.com/2016/07/10/the-truth- ... hony-food/

Particularly interesting is the escolar sushi thing.
no avatar
User

Ernie in Berkeley

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:58 pm

Re: Food Fraud

by Ernie in Berkeley » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:20 pm

The escolar thing caught me by surprise once. A local French bistro prides itself on its house-made tuna confit. I got a nicoise salad once, and the texture seemed off, too solid for tuna. Sure enough, when I got home I had to run to the bathroom. I'm pretty sure the switch happened at the wholesale level and the owner/chef had no idea about it.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:26 am

Add to the fraud list "scallops" that are really just cylindrical pieces punched out of fish muscle.

I think the "Kobe steak" fraud is particularly egregious, since they're charging such a high price premium doe solely to the alleged origin of the meat.

I also take umbrage at seeing "homemade" on a menu when they mean "prepared from scratch here in the restaurant".

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:38 pm

The local sushi bar does a roll with "White Tuna" as one of the components, but the quantity is small enough that I have never experienced this problem. I should ask Clint if it is really Escolar.

White tuna is nothing like regular tuna, so maybe this is a different fish altogether. I had eaten a role with "Kajiki" as a nigiri that was very similar to what is on this roll.

Yep. I thought white tuna was escolar, but it may be Pacific Blue Marlin instead? https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=kajiki+fish
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:30 pm

Was in our local market today and saw frozen 'sushi grade' tuna chunks and wondered what the chances were that they were really tuna....nope, not going to check them out!
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:28 pm

been lucky so far w/r/t sushi. Only had problems at one place (since closed).

Now, the downtown "grey meat" taqueria in Fairfield sickened 35 people with inadequately cooked chicken! :evil:

At least, the CLAIM was that it was chicken. I am speculating (and tying it to the post topic!) it was stray cat...or rat???? :?
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:20 pm

The author's other articles are all of the same ilk. So, while I have no doubt that food fraud happens quite a bit, I think the article is a bit too Chicken Little for my tastes.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:05 am

Jeff Grossman wrote:The author's other articles are all of the same ilk. So, while I have no doubt that food fraud happens quite a bit, I think the article is a bit too Chicken Little for my tastes.

Of course it is. This is, after all, the New York Post, one of the sensationalist newspapers that gave tabloids a bad name.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:25 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:http://nypost.com/2016/07/10/the-truth-behind-how-were-scammed-into-eating-phony-food/

Particularly interesting is the escolar sushi thing.

Not condoning the practice of switching at all, but must defend the fish. It's WONDERFUL, it would be my very favorite fish all the time, if I could get it. As to the famous effect, not everyone has that problem. And luckily I'm one who doesn't have that reaction, but unfortunately there's liability for restaurants etc who do serve it so it's not usually available on the west coast (though I used to buy it frequently at a Bristol Farms in So Cal.)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:17 pm

Reading a very interesting book on Ripert - "On the Line".
They use escolar there and call it white tuna. No idea how they deal with the issue of those people that react negatively to that fish.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:28 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Reading a very interesting book on Ripert - "On the Line".
They use escolar there and call it white tuna. No idea how they deal with the issue of those people that react negatively to that fish.

At Le Bernardin? That's impressive--I mean, how much more top drawer can you get than Le Bernardin in America for seafood? That they use it suggests that fewer people react negatively than some of the hype suggests, more or less as I thought. Btw, I really want to read that book--forget his cooking talents (though, how can you) Eric is just an extremely interesting individual.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:49 pm

Jenise wrote:
Bill Spohn wrote:Reading a very interesting book on Ripert - "On the Line".

Btw, I really want to read that book--forget his cooking talents (though, how can you) Eric is just an extremely interesting individual.

I think you'd like it - it details the organizations and duties within the restaurant and it also includes some of their classic recipes. Should be available in a local library.
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:52 pm

Never thought fish could taste so good until we ate at Le Bernardin. Usually shellfish is all I ever expect to rave about. :D