Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Science digs into Indian food's delicious flavor

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Science digs into Indian food's delicious flavor

by Robin Garr » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:51 pm

I thought this article was fascinating, but of course I love Indian food. :)

Washington Post Wonkblog wrote:Scientists have figured out what makes Indian food so delicious
Researchers have data crunched 2,500 recipes and found the secret to their success.
By Roberto A. Ferdman
March 3, 2015

Indian food, with its hodgepodge of ingredients and intoxicating aromas, is coveted around the world. The labor-intensive cuisine and its mix of spices is more often than not a revelation for those who sit down to eat it for the first time. Heavy doses of cardamom, cayenne, tamarind and other flavors can overwhelm an unfamiliar palate. Together, they help form the pillars of what tastes so good to so many people.

But behind the appeal of Indian food — what makes it so novel and so delicious — is also a stranger and subtler truth. In a large new analysis of more than 2,000 popular recipes, data scientists have discovered perhaps the key reason why Indian food tastes so unique: It does something radical with flavors, something very different from what we tend to do in the United States and the rest of Western culture. And it does it at the molecular level.

Full article:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/won ... delicious/
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: Science digs into Indian food's delicious flavor

by Rahsaan » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:40 pm

Interesting data approach.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Science digs into Indian food's delicious flavor

by Jenise » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:09 pm

Interesting about the overlaps, and lack of. It really makes perfect sense--cooking at the level I do, I already get that the most contrasts on the plate, the more interesting the meal. Pretty much the opposite of my grandmother's midwestern cooking.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov