Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Dining Darwin to Adelaide (long and probably boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

Dining Darwin to Adelaide (long and probably boring)

by Barb Downunder » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:58 am

So we have just returned from great little holiday.
We flew from Melbourne to Darwin where we spent a few days,perfect weather 32Cand no humidity.
Two dining highlights, an Asian inspired Darwin institution Hanuman restaurant where we ate twice trying an excellent massaman curry amongst a number of good dishes.
"Peewees on the point" is an upscale joint, dining on the terrace looking back across the bay to the city, great service, good food, some dishes maybe a bit "clunky". For me the standout dish was a seafood plate entree ..or starter in USA

Chilled tiger prawns with a tomato & lemongrass consomme Beetroot cured Mackerel with horseradish cream & hazelnut praline Paspaley pearl meat shashimi, rice wine vinaigrette

And then "The Ghan".

Travelling 3000 km by train is no longer about getting from a to b it is a total experience, and that is certainly what you get on the Ghan. The service includes private two berth compartment with en suite bathroom, all meals with beverages and off train excursions.
They really do their utmost to make it truly memorable and they succeed.
Whether we were in the lovely dining car (shades of Poirot) for breakfast lunch or dinner, having a barbie under the stars at the historic Telegraph station in Alice Springs or a Greek luncheon in an opal mine in Coober Pedy the tables were always clothed in snowy white linen, with proper China, cutlery and glassware. Off train meals were catered but train crew were always there, topping up, refolding napkins if you left your seat etc.
What a wonderful experience, and yes Jeff I waved in the direction of the big rock!

We stayed a few days in Adelaide, within spittin' distance of the Adelaide Central Market with beautiful fresh produce, cafes and the surrounding food courts and streets full of restaurants.
We had already decided we must eat at two of the markets ethnic cafe/stalls, and were not disappointed, a very good tapas place (recommended by a newspaper critic I respect) who do a sensational cheese croquette (this should be easy to replicate, a one inch ball of goat cheese, crumbed and fried and served with a drizzle of warm honey and a touch of fresh thyme)
The other is Latvian, and a must do as my partner is of Latvian descent. Authentic food, and real Latvian beer (Himself does not mind a Cesu Alus)
I keep forgetting we ate at the very fancy Botanical gardens restaurant, perhaps because the food didn't do much for me although the service was quite good and it is a sensational room in the daytime looking into the gardens.
The rest of the time we ate Asian, as there are so many within the immediate area, which shoulD means there is gonna be good food, and also because where we live there ain't none. We had some good cheap and cheerful and found a modern Chinese which was great, ate there twice, dumplings stuffed full of good things, and a fabulous dish of South Australian prawns in lime infused salt and Sarawak pepper.

Now back in my own kitchen cooking Italian.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: Dining Darwin to Adelaide (long and probably boring)

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:03 am

Wow, Barb, it sounds like a great trip! We've talked about doing something like that on one of the train lines either here in the US or in Canada. Australia's going to have to go on the list as a possible option now.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Matilda L

Rank

Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:48 am

Adelaide, South Australia

by Matilda L » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:57 am

The Ghan is one of those experiences I'm saving up for later, but people keep telling me how good it is.
When the Francophile and I were in Darwin last year, we ate at Hanuman's and Peewee's too. Both excellent, and the night-time view across the bay from Peewee's is worth experiencing.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:46 pm

Barb, that all sounds so good! The Ghan sounds like a great experience... the tracks, the silver service, and you.

(And thanks for the wave! :D )

Jeff

PS. Late reply because I was on vaca, too: Bavaria and thereabouts. Castles and wursts!