Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What I Miss about the UK/USA

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

What I Miss about the UK/USA

by Peter May » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:06 pm

I've been looking at a website* by a Florida woman whose moved to London and she blogs to tell US visitors what to see and how to manage in England. She also has an intresting list of what she's missing from the USA, one of which are certain foods.

Got me thinking. My first pass is

What I like in the USA and miss in the UK

Tangy orange tomato "French" salad dressing
Multiple free refills of coffee
Fried eggs 'easy over'
Good waiter service as standard

What I like in the UK that I miss in the USA

Hot 'English' mustard
Back bacon
Fish'n'Chips
HP Sauce
meat free Baked Beans
Branston pickle

Hot mustard is my number 1. All those great steak houses and no mustard. I now take a jar or two of Colmans with me on my US trips.
And I've brought home American French dressing, and I'm sad to see that its out of favour now so many restaurants no longer have it.

* http://sunnyinlondon.com/american-items ... in-the-uk/
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: What I Miss UK/USA

by Jenise » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:54 pm

Peter, you can make your own version of American French dressing as I believe you have Campbell's tomato soup there. In a quart sized jar, add the tomato soup, then add half a can of canola or other neutral-flavor oil, about a quarter can white wine vinegar, same of water, several spoonfuls of sugar and 1-2 teaspoons of Colman's mustard powder. That will give you a tomato-y sweet-sour base which you can thin further with water or vinegar, and embellish with fresh garlic and finely grated fresh or powdered ginger to taste. I add both garlic and ginger. Better than anything that you would spend $4-5 a bottle on.

But--come back to the Pacific Northwest. Lots of Fish & Chips up here!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

by Joe Moryl » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:07 pm

After living in the UK for about 4 years, that is a pretty fair list. I don't really care for French dressing or HP sauce, so that is OK. Most of the well stocked shops around here have a variety of mustards, including the English, so that isn't a big deal. There were a lot of mediocre fish & chips places around, but if you could find a good one, it was great.

I miss real ale (cask conditioned) served in a nice pub. From what I understand, the UK beer lovers have moved on a bit to what we would call 'craft beer' here in the US, and I have no problem with that either, as long as some traditional styles are being preserved. Rural pubs are said to be struggling, and that makes me sad. And after closing time, I often enjoyed picking up a kabob or a couple samosas to eat on the walk home. Dark chocolate Hob-Nobs are nice - I hope some US multinational has not bought them up and ruined them.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:56 pm

It's been 30 years since I lived in the U.K.--back then the list of American things I missed was pretty long (and most of the items were Mexican-oriented or items of fresh produce.) When I left, I had another list of things-British I'd come to love and missed a great deal, like being able to buy pates sliced to order at Tesco, the sausages at Marks and Spencer and Double Diamond (think it was) pale ale in the can. When I moved to Britain, I didn't like beer at all, but pale ale converted me. I also missed french fries, or chips if you will, made from real, fresh potatoes instead of frozen. In the U.S. we do see more fresh chips nowadays but frozen still dominates the marketplace.

Today things would be quite different, I'm sure.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:09 pm

Jenise wrote:It's been 30 years since I lived in the U.K.--back then the list of American things I missed was pretty long (and most of the items were Mexican-oriented or items of fresh produce.)...Today things would be quite different, I'm sure.

Of course. And beyond all the specialty shops which would probably be of more interest to you, even in the large supermarket chains, Mexican/Tex Mex foods are fairly popular in the UK. In some respects, they seem to filter US influences through the Southwest! (e.g. chilli, bbq sauce, vaguely Mexican products)
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:32 pm

Fun. I'll give this some thought. It has been 20 years since I lived in the UK but I am back 3 or so times a year. When we moved there, the hardest bit was no mexican food. Well except for at our flat. But we did discover Indian food which at the time was not up to snuff in Southern California.

Sticky Toffee pudding was a revelation.

And I didn't bother drinking beer for about 2 years after moving back.

But now it seems like most stuff is available. Coleman's is on the shelf of any grocery store and in my fridge right now.

Brown sauce was a discovery as well.

Jason
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:18 am

Jason Hagen wrote: Coleman's is on the shelf of any grocery store and in my fridge right now.

I've seen tins of Colmans Mustard powder in some supermarkets, never seen jars of the made mustard.

I've never been in any restaurant in the USA that had hot mustard: Frenches, yes, Grey Poupon Dijon, mostly, grain mustard very rarely, but English? Never.

I'll be in Southern California next month so I'll be looking for jars of Colmans there -- but I'll still take one just in case..

Sticky toffee pudding? yummmmmmm. Puddings are a whole new area. What's disappointed me in recent US trips is that, apart from Dennys, it seems restaurants just don't have apple pie any more,
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:14 pm

Peter May wrote:
Jason Hagen wrote: Coleman's is on the shelf of any grocery store and in my fridge right now.

I've seen tins of Colmans Mustard powder in some supermarkets, never seen jars of the made mustard.

I've never been in any restaurant in the USA that had hot mustard: Frenches, yes, Grey Poupon Dijon, mostly, grain mustard very rarely, but English? Never.

I'll be in Southern California next month so I'll be looking for jars of Colmans there -- but I'll still take one just in case..

Sticky toffee pudding? yummmmmmm. Puddings are a whole new area. What's disappointed me in recent US trips is that, apart from Dennys, it seems restaurants just don't have apple pie any more,

Yes. Now we can get the jars and they are date stamped as well. But you are correct, if it is not British themed restaurant, you will not find Colemans.

We have a local place, which I haven't been to in years and I think the ownership has changed but 15 years ago it was amazing. British owned and run. Many dishes already had that Colemans hiding in it somewhere. It actually felt like being in a country pub.

Jason
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:46 pm

Peter May wrote: What's disappointed me in recent US trips is that, apart from Dennys, it seems restaurants just don't have apple pie any more,

????

I'm not sure how extensive your restaurant exposure has been, but in my limited experience, apple desserts (often pie, or a variation therein) are pretty much standard offerings during the fall.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:47 pm

Rahsaan wrote:I'm not sure how extensive your restaurant exposure has been, but in my limited experience, apple desserts (often pie, or a variation therein) are pretty much standard offerings during the fall.

Several French restaurants here have tarte tatin, and I can hardly think of a down-home eatery that doesn't do apple pah.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Snorbens, England

Re: What I Miss about the UK/USA

by Peter May » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:14 am

Not as much exposure as someone living full time in the USA thats for sure, but I eat eating out every meal in restaurants .

My weight-loss rule is I don't have dessert unless it's apple pie, because I love apple pie, so I know what I'm not finding it.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:09 pm

Peter May wrote:What I like in the UK that I miss in the USA

Hot mustard is my number 1. All those great steak houses and no mustard. I now take a jar or two of Colmans with me on my US trips.

Just yesterday I saw Colmans mustard (both mustard powder and prepared mustard in a jar) in my local (Nashua New Hampshire) supermarket. At least in New England, this bit of Old England seems pretty well distributed.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:18 pm

Same here, Paul, but then like you we have Canadians to feed. Chances fade with every mile further south you go.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:21 pm

Colman's is pretty readily available here as well. It's not at every grocery store, but there are several that carry it.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:21 am

I have a tin of Coleman's powdered mustard, but have recently been using bags of Canadian mustard from Penzey's and like it. I like to mix it with a little beer and put it on hot dogs, as well as adding it to deviled eggs, potato salad, etc.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Matilda L

Rank

Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:48 am

Adelaide, South Australia

by Matilda L » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:58 am

Mustard made up with beer? Howie, I must try that.

From my trips to the States, the thing I like that we can't get here in Oz is: lemonade. American lemonade is great. I enjoy it a lot.

In Oz, if you ask for "lemonade" what you will get will be a colourless fizzy soft drink like sprite. (Maybe not so sweet.)
no avatar
User

Matilda L

Rank

by Matilda L » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:59 am

And while I'm thinking about it... the range of biscuits (cookies, if you will!) that you can get in the UK is far better than what we see in mainstream stores in Australia.

But the coffee's better in Australian coffee shops :)
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:16 pm

Coffee in Australia all seems to be some variation on the espresso theme, whereas drip-brewed coffee is the mainstay these days in the USA (having replaced percolated coffee in the 1970s).

One thing I miss from Australia is Anzac biscuits.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:34 am

Keep 'em coming!

My Swedish friend was dismayed when in UK with the difficulty of buying dill, which is ubiquitous on dishes in Sweden
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:09 pm

You know another thing I did miss when I left the UK? McVittie's digestive biscuits. But now that I live near Vancouver: reunited!
no avatar
User

Matilda L

Rank

by Matilda L » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:26 am

McVities Digestive biscuits are a staple at our place. I like a couple of digestive biscuits with mango chutney and sharp cheddar cheese with my soup at lunch time.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:42 am

Paul Winalski wrote:Coffee in Australia all seems to be some variation on the espresso theme, whereas drip-brewed coffee is the mainstay these days in the USA (having replaced percolated coffee in the 1970s).

You mean the famous "flat white"?
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:05 pm

Does the UK still hate root beer?

J
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:50 pm

A lot of the British stuff you want is no further than the Canadian border - good back bacon, well made fish and chips, and hot mustard (most of the British mustard as well as French comes from produce grown in Canada anyway).

We also have HP sauce - surprised you have trouble finding it down there.