Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Cauliflower Steaks with Roasted Okra

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

Cauliflower Steaks with Roasted Okra

by Peter May » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:40 am

Last night I made sautéed cauliflower steaks (ref This thread by Jenise) with roasted okra (inspired by this thread by Robin) with tarka dhal –There are a great many recipes for roasted/fried cauliflower steaks online with few agreeing with method or temperatures.

I put the cauliflower stalk side up and using a bread knife cut vertically through the centre, then twice cut about an inch away to make two steaks. There were also some large florets left which I cut into steaks so getting one large steak and two smaller ‘floret’ steaks per person.
cauliflower-steak.png

Following recipes, and because Jo had ‘sauteed cauliflower steak’ on a recent Viking River cruise, in order to colour the steak on each side. The online recipe’s two minutes each side wasn’t enough and I also had to turn up the heat till the oil was spitting.
When all steaks were coloured I put them on a baking tray and into a hot oven to cook through, testing with the point of a knife.

Next time I won’t fry but will leave longer in a roasting pan. When I have roasted florets in the past they’ve coloured nicely.

Okra. I topped and tailed these and cut into half, coated them in a bowl of olive oil with pepper and salt flakes, then put on a baking tray in a fan oven at 220C till they were browned and crispy.

okra.png

The okra shrinks a lot, and I had to wipe up the released oil . Next time I will drain the okra on kitchen paper before putting in oven as they didn’t seem to crisp while lying on oil..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Snorbens, England

Re: Cauliflower Steaks with Roasted Okra

by Peter May » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:45 am

And this is the meal as served.

cauliflower-steak-meal.png

There was a good mix of flavours and tastes with the meaty cauliflower, the crisp okra and the delicious dhal bringng it togther.

I thought at first I'd got too much okra, but as mentioned, it shrunk and it was really moreish so it went fast.

Both plates were cleared, we felt satisfied and we both really enjoyed it.

We had a Southern French 'old vines' Carignan with the meal.

We'll be having it again!!

close-up.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:09 pm

Looks good, Peter! Thanks for the detailed report and the photos.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:42 pm

Hi Peter - looks good. I am interested in your dhal recipe. Everybody does it differently!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:02 pm

Peter, good job!

Btw, my method didn't require removal to the oven. I just colored them in the pan, then tossed in about two ounces of water and put the lid on. They were ready when the water evaporated in about five minutes. A nice touch with my method is that you can use water, wine, broth, or water seasoned with a curry mix, berbere or what have you. It infuses.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:50 pm

Peter, the cauliflower looks good and I don't even like cauliflower!
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:30 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Hi Peter - looks good. I am interested in your dhal recipe. Everybody does it differently!

Hi David

Apologies. in editing I must have removed the reference to the dhal being ready-made, from M&Ss ready meal chiller cabinet.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:33 am

Jeff Grossman wrote:Peter, the cauliflower looks good and I don't even like cauliflower!

I don't know how you've had it in past. Too often its overboild when it should be IMO al dent.

But when roasted it takes on a nutty flavour, quite different (just like the roasted crisp okra was quite different to my previous experiences of that vegetable.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:41 am

Jenise wrote: then tossed in about two ounces of water and put the lid on. .

Yes, I had your recipe printed out but decided not to add liquid for two reasons
- I thought it might make it less crispy
-I didn't have room in pan for all the cauliflower, whereas I could get them all on one baking sheet so they were all ready at the same time. Also I had good experiences when roasting florets in past.

Regarding adding water; seems akin to par boiling and then finishing by sauteeing or roasting.

Par boiling potatoes before roasting is now commonly given in recipes although I think it came from commercial kitchens who needed to produce roasted potatoes on demand quickly. I think pre-par-boiled roasted potatoes taste inferior to wholly roasted pots.

Next time I do the cauliflower steaks I will try just roasting, no pre-sauteeing.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:31 am

Peter May wrote:
Next time I do the cauliflower steaks I will try just roasting, no pre-sauteeing.

So I did.

And it was just fine, a little under 30 minutes each side, turning once, in a large baking tray at 180C in a fan oven . The okra ditto for about 40 minutes, tossing occasionally.

Lot easier to do, and the dish is a definite hit and aded to our rota for the nights Jo is on one of the 2 of her 5/2 diet
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:56 pm

Peter May wrote:
Jenise wrote: then tossed in about two ounces of water and put the lid on. .

Yes, I had your recipe printed out but decided not to add liquid for two reasons
- I thought it might make it less crispy
-I didn't have room in pan for all the cauliflower, whereas I could get them all on one baking sheet so they were all ready at the same time. Also I had good experiences when roasting florets in past.

Regarding adding water; seems akin to par boiling and then finishing by sauteeing or roasting.

Par boiling potatoes before roasting is now commonly given in recipes although I think it came from commercial kitchens who needed to produce roasted potatoes on demand quickly. I think pre-par-boiled roasted potatoes taste inferior to wholly roasted pots.

Yes, it would be less crispy. We're only talking a tiny bit of liquid here, but the idea was to infuse flavor and texture. Crispy textures are a whole different goal (but a good one, I too roast florets this way.)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov