Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's Cooking (Take Three!)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: What's Cooking (Take Three!)

by Jenise » Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:11 pm

I tasted some other oregano once. Might have been Turkish or Greek--somewhere Europe-ish. Not even close to Mexican oregano, which is what I grew used to in Southern California Mex food, I've never wanted to deviate. Now I couldn't describe the difference, other than there's something essential in Mexican oregano that others don't have so I've never strayed.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:42 pm

I always assumed that Mexican oregano was just a variety of the same species as Mediterranean oregano, just as Thai basil (horapa) is a variety of the same species as common basil. Not so. Not only are Mediterranean oregano (Origanum vulgare) and Mexican oregano (Lippia graviolens) different species, they aren't even in the same plant family. Mediterranean oregano is in the mint family whereas Mexican oregano is a verbena. No wonder they have different flavor profiles.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:00 pm

Thanks, Paul, that's helpful.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:25 am

Paul Winalski wrote:I always assumed that Mexican oregano was just a variety of the same species as Mediterranean oregano, just as Thai basil (horapa) is a variety of the same species as common basil. Not so. Not only are Mediterranean oregano (Origanum vulgare) and Mexican oregano (Lippia graviolens) different species, they aren't even in the same plant family. Mediterranean oregano is in the mint family whereas Mexican oregano is a verbena. No wonder they have different flavor profiles.

-Paul W.

How interesting that Mexican Oregano is a verbena...thanks for the info.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:30 am

Tonight, I am making a big salad, with Iceberg lettuce wedges, sliced salami, marinated artichoke hearts, black olives, pepperoncini, sliced Parmesan Reggiano, red onion, cherry tomatoes, with a red wine vinaigrette. Also, we will share a New York steak, marinated and grilled then sliced.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:27 pm

I had an heirloom roasting chicken under salt since yesterday for roasting today (Zuni Cafe method), then received an invitation to a friends for dinner. Carefree menu: she provides the sides, each couple brings their own protein to grill. So I parted the chicken out: white meat, backs etc in one pot for stewed chicken and and noodles, dark meat quarters in another for a Tuscan braise with tomatoes carrots, celery, onion, garlic and porcini mushrooms. Dinner for the rest of the week is made!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:59 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:I always assumed that Mexican oregano was just a variety of the same species as Mediterranean oregano, just as Thai basil (horapa) is a variety of the same species as common basil. Not so. Not only are Mediterranean oregano (Origanum vulgare) and Mexican oregano (Lippia graviolens) different species, they aren't even in the same plant family. Mediterranean oregano is in the mint family whereas Mexican oregano is a verbena. No wonder they have different flavor profiles.

-Paul W.

It gets confusing here when I buy Mexican oregano and the package says it's from Mexico. Is it from the verbena family, or is it from the mint family and merely grown in Mexico?
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:48 am

Tonight, chicken kebabs in the oven, half the skewers seasoned as if for tandoori (plus a little extra cumin) and half the skewers seasoned with curry (plus a little extra ginger, fennel, charnushka seed).
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:37 am

Larry Greenly wrote:It gets confusing here when I buy Mexican oregano and the package says it's from Mexico. Is it from the verbena family, or is it from the mint family and merely grown in Mexico?

"Mexican oregano" was an unfortunate choice of common name. This sort of thing happens all the time with Indian spices, herbs, and dals. Not only is the translation to English inconsistent--so are the native Indian names. For starters you've got several languages and dialects. Then there are regional variations, and the same word may refer to different things in different areas.* I've noticed that some purveyors of Indian spices are starting to put the scientific name of the plant on the label.

The dried leaves of the two oreganos look quite different, but if you're buying online you can't always see the product.

-Paul W.

* This is like the situation with 'barbecue' and 'chili' in the US. Order chili in Cincinnati and you get something completely different from what you'd get in Alburquerque.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:05 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:It gets confusing here when I buy Mexican oregano and the package says it's from Mexico. Is it from the verbena family, or is it from the mint family and merely grown in Mexico?

Should be able to eyeball it. Mexican oregano has a very specific look to it not shared by any other dry herb; I usually buy the little 99 cent packets from the Mexican herb/spice section or Mexican stores.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:59 am

Tonight it is ravioli's with meat sauce. I'm thinking a tomato, bread salad I love with Kalamata Olives, fresh marjoram, basil and a Cabernet vinegar, evoo dressing.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:56 pm

Sounds great, Karen. And you just gave me a good idea for a meatless dinner--a bread salad. I've got a rather dense sourdough rosemary half loaf on hand that's a bit too much to chew for my dentally challenged husband. A panzanella would be great.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:15 pm

Just made four quarts of salsa, a fruity green one and a hotter red one. And I'm smoking five pounds of pork for a giant smoked pork enchilada pie for tomorrow. Zinfandel+Mexican food for 45, another outdoor, socially distanced neighborhood potluck which is what I'm replacing the old wine tastings with.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:42 am

Jenise, your potluck sounds yummy, it should be a huge hit.

Tonight at our casa is roasted chicken with mandarins and Penrod. The chicken, fennel wedges are put into a huge bowl to marinate with Pernod, olive oil, fresh orange juice, lemon juice, grain mustard, brown sugar, fresh thyme, mandarin orange slices, and fennel seed. Sadly, I could not find fennel bulbs in the store so am substituting baby red potatoes. Everything is then put on a large sheet pan. The cooking liquid is reduced at the end and then poured over the dish. There will be grilled corn on the cob slathered with cilantro, lime pesto. and butter.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:10 pm

Lime pesto?
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:25 pm

Pesto made with cilantro, olive oil, fresh lime juice, not sure what else I threw in there, it was frozen from early basil season, and I did not write it down. Good though!
I just remembered it had cashews, looked it up and I think this is the one I made.
https://showmetheyummy.com/cilantro-pesto-recipe/
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:58 pm

Thanks, Karen. I like reading recipes for variant pestos (pesti?). Presumably, any strongly-flavored green should work.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:59 am

I've made all kinds of weird concoctions. Not really a fan of the standard, pine nut, basil, oil variety. I usually like toasted pecans, cashews, or pistachio nuts, and most always include lemon, lime. I made a kale, lemon, one which I really like to jazz up soups.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:26 pm

I'll be making a Thai red curry with chicken and eggplant today. I'll probably throw in some pea eggplants and green peppercorns as well.

-Paul W.
Last edited by Paul Winalski on Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:18 am

I had to look up pea eggplants, had never heard of them. Do you grow your own? We get a variety of eggplants at Farmer's Market but nothing like that.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:41 pm

I've never seen fresh pea eggplants at markets in the US, but they are for sale online and you can buy the seeds. The ones I use are pickled in brine and are imported in jars from Thailand. I've seen some Thai restaurants substitute fresh peas, which works visually but the flavor and texture are different.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:16 pm

No cooking today. I spent a whole day sampling and judging myriad hot sauces, hot rubs, etc. for next March's Fiery Food Festival in Albuquerque. We nibbled on endless crackers, chips, breads, pretzels, and I had :| a pint of Shiner Bock. So I'm not hungry. :|
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:39 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:No cooking today. I spent a whole day sampling and judging myriad hot sauces, hot rubs, etc. for next March's Fiery Food Festival in Albuquerque. We nibbled on endless crackers, chips, breads, pretzels, and I had :| a pint of Shiner Bock. So I'm not hungry. :|

So, hot sauce, starch, hot sauce, starch starch, hot sauce, hot sauce, starch, starch, starch? Heckuva lunch.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:40 am

And I'm on a low-carb diet. which will restart tomorrow. I certainly don't need no stinkin' ivermectin after tasting untold numbers of hot sauces. Maybe not even my covid booster shot.
PreviousNext