Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's Cooking (Take Three!)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: What's Cooking (Take Three!)

by Rahsaan » Fri May 25, 2018 10:45 pm

Jeff Grossman wrote:
Rahsaan wrote:
Jeff Grossman wrote:... soft-shell crabs pan-sizzled in the fat...

Nice, I've been slacking on getting soft-shells during this seasonal window. Maybe tomorrow if they are available. (Although will not cook mine in bacon fat...)

Oil of the olive, I assume?

Yes, or butter.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Sun May 27, 2018 6:59 am

Our niece came for sleepover, on her way to her holiday cabin. I think I know the type of food she likes
An YAY I do!, made a cassoulet and it was a great hit. She also really enjoyed the entree of smoked salmon with pickled fennel, and breakfast which was simple bacon and eggs.
A lovely visit.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun May 27, 2018 11:47 am

I am always amazed how much cassoulet gets made by folks who don't live in France (myself included)!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun May 27, 2018 1:12 pm

Got a rib eye out of the freezer yesterday afternoon. Was loosely thinking Italian especially with some leftover plain tagliatelle to re-tool with cream and parmesan, but there was a bottle of curry powder on the counter. And the two together brought back long, long ago memories of a recipe from a Virginia Slims ad for a killer steak marinade of peach nectar and curry seasoning. There went Italy!
No nectar around so I just made a dry rub of salt, sugar and curry powder, and let it rain. An hour was long enough for the rub to melt into the meat, and the set created a great crust on the finished meat. Our starter course was a few spears of leftover cold asparagus drizzled with a dressing of mayo, lemon juice and tarragon.

Put the tagliatelle back in the fridge and instead used up leftover raw veggies I had on hand for a stovetop-braised side dish: one fennel bulb, halved, half a leek in thick slices and then a couple 3" lengths of celery in honor of recent posts here by Barb and Rahsaan.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon May 28, 2018 4:00 pm

For the neighborhood block party last night I made chicken "shawarma" from the book Cherish, by Anne Shooter. It involves marinating thin slices of chicken thighs in oil and a bunch of spices (turmeric, cumin, hot paprika, coriander, cinnamon, cloves) and then roasting in a hot oven with onion slices tossed in. Served it with pita bread, cucumber, and tomato. It was very tasty but drier than I'd like - next time I'll cover the sheet pan with foil for the first half of the roast. My wife made whoopie pies with penuche and mint fillings.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon May 28, 2018 4:03 pm

Sounds fantastic, Mike, at least in theory. How long a roast did the recipe call for?

Btw, thought of you. We are invited to a friend's home later this week. The invite came via the husband and Bob said she's serving Butter Chicken to which I responded, "I'll bet she got an InstaPot." Your fault.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue May 29, 2018 6:07 pm

Tuna salad for lunch today, tried a new imported (and expensive, I'm guessing, these two cans were a gift) canned bonito called Ortiz. Oh. My. God. The texture and flavor were just unreal. So I filled two bowls with lettuce, sprinkled them with white wine vinegar and Maldon salt, drizzled some of the oil from the can over and then scooped the fish on top. I'm in heaven.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue May 29, 2018 11:06 pm

Jenise wrote:Sounds fantastic, Mike, at least in theory. How long a roast did the recipe call for?

Btw, thought of you. We are invited to a friend's home later this week. The invite came via the husband and Bob said she's serving Butter Chicken to which I responded, "I'll bet she got an InstaPot." Your fault.

Ha! I made that for our girls and some friends of ours last Friday night. I found out that the "serves four to six" is very optimistic. I scaled it up by 50% and we barely had enough for six.

Tonight, it was fresh English peas in leftover butter chicken sauce with rice.

Oh - the shawarma recipe called for 30 minutes. I took mine out after 25, but this was with convection.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed May 30, 2018 6:33 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:
Jenise wrote:Sounds fantastic, Mike, at least in theory. How long a roast did the recipe call for?

Ha! I made that for our girls and some friends of ours last Friday night. I found out that the "serves four to six" is very optimistic. I scaled it up by 50% and we barely had enough for six.

Tonight, it was fresh English peas in leftover butter chicken sauce with rice.

Oh - the shawarma recipe called for 30 minutes. I took mine out after 25, but this was with convection.

Well, by this time tomorrow we'll know! Tonight's the night. I'm taking rose. But what tiny portions! Hopefully this isn't Mary's first time at it!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu May 31, 2018 1:35 pm

Okay, Mike, re the butter chicken: I was so so so wrong!

Mary made hers from scratch and it was probably the best I've ever had. She served chopped vegetable pakoras with two dipping sauces as a starter, then brought more to the table with the main course--the butter chicken, rice, a malaysian fry bread, and two vegetable side dishes involving cabbage/peas and green beans/potatoes. EXCELLENT. No instapot in sight.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:21 am

Pared back mixed grill for us tonight, because there were 2 garlic pork sausages and 2 black angus beef patties in the fridge. Add a baked spud, grilled cos lettuce, roasted cherry tomatoes. Onions n gravy.

FYI if the concept of mixed grill is foreign to you, it is one of the classic Aussie pub dishes, often badly done with rubbish ingredients, but it persists. Usually a small steak, a sausage, a pattie/rissole, a lamb chop, a rasher of bacon, chips (fries) and salad (token). Maybe add an egg. Very Blokey.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:59 am

Barb Downunder wrote:FYI if the concept of mixed grill is foreign to you, it is one of the classic Aussie pub dishes, often badly done with rubbish ingredients, but it persists. Usually a small steak, a sausage, a pattie/rissole, a lamb chop, a rasher of bacon, chips (fries) and salad (token). Maybe add an egg. Very Blokey.

What no kidney?

Does "Very Blokey" mean "guy food" / "boy food" or is there a different connotation?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:14 am

Man food, I'm sure!

Btw, the Mixed Grill is very common in England too. Never warmed up to the idea except as something one should do to use up small bits of meat for which there's too little for any other purpose, as Barb is doing.

Didn't cook last night, but went to a five course winemaker dinner at a local restaurant featuring a favorite Washington winery from the Columbia Gorge appellation. The Gorge comprises vineyards on both the North (Washington) and South (Oregon) sides of the Columbia River, and in a span of less than 20 miles goes from cool climate (pinot noir, chardonnay) to warm climate (Rhone and Italian varieties). It's the wackiest and most beautiful AVA I know of, and the wines can be spectacular. The menu was a brilliant exercise in sourcing local (30 mile radius) ingredients in the barely-there season between winter and summer.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:41 am

Bucatini with hot Italian Beyond Sausage, tomato sauce, and burrata.

sausage-burrata.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:57 am

Oh I love burrata. Never considered topping a hot pasta dish with it!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:52 pm

Worth a try! I can't take credit for the idea, though. It's pretty common at Italian restaurants around here. Break it up a bit so the creamy parts leak into the pasta and sauce ...
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:03 pm

Unfortunately, "leak" is a problem word. My issue with white creamy stuff doesn't like the look of that. In Mexican restaurants I prohibit them from putting crema on my dishes, and I just about faint at the sight of a white creamy salad dressing when put on wet lettuce such that it runs like milk. That burrata's dangerously close.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:10 pm

I hear you ... I'm glad I don't have that aversion, but it would definitely alter my eating habits, as it does yours!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:18 pm

I had half of a store-bought burrata left over and wanted to use it while it was still fresh. Pulling ideas out of my hip pocket, I quickly simmered and finely chopped a bunch of fresh spinach, then sweated garlic in a little butter and olive oil, stirred in the spinach with a little leftover spinach cooking water to make it just fluid.

Then I stirred in just-drained orzo and finished the dish with a little pasta water, grated Parmigiano and a squirt of lemon juice plus S&P. Divided into bowls and topped each with a share of the chopped burrata. Finish with a grind of black pepper and a drizzle of olive oil.

I don't mean to sound braggy, but this combination of flavors was incredible. I'm writing down the recipe because I fully intend to do this again, for dinner next time when I have a decent Italian white or maybe a fine rosé around.

spinach-orzo-burrata.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:40 pm

Sounds yummy, Robin. What does the pasta water do for it?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:08 pm

Jeff, pasta water is an old Italian trick. Because a fair amount of the wheat starch from the pasta gets into the water, a little of it stirred in briskly can help lightly thicken the sauce and help it adhere to the pasta. Also adds a little salt, but obviously you don't want to overdo.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:11 pm

Here's a longish but interesting piece from Serious Eats where they put the pasta-water method to the test and found truth in it. ;)
https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/doe ... rence.html
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:47 am

Thanks!

It just seems so counter-intuitive... I struggle to thicken the sauce so you want me to add water?!?!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:03 pm

Last night was dinner on the deck, so a bowl of wasabi poke and a bowl of bell pepper strips with vinegar and salt with a bottle of rose filled the bill. Today I'm hoping for for similar (not looking too warm out there yet, might be disappointed!) and will have a Trinidadian triplet of tomato choka, eggplant choka, and a crudo of halibut with mango chow chow,
PreviousNext